Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

101 - 111 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I hope this isn't a dead thread! I was just wondering how much 18 gauge wire should I safely order (my bike is a 99')? I read elsewhere in the thread that 50m (164ft) would be enough for two stators potentially, so does that mean 25m (82ft) would be enough for one?

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
I hope this isn't a dead thread! I was just wondering how much 18 gauge wire should I safely order (my bike is a 99')? I read elsewhere in the thread that 50m (164ft) would be enough for two stators potentially, so does that mean 25m (82ft) would be enough for one?
suggest you look at the messages a couple of pages back. Message 76 gives a link to a copper wire co. that has a very broad range. You want to use a high-temp coating. I think 25m is enough, can't remember exactly. If you can get 17 gauge, I would go with that. 18gauge is the absolute minimum. these things generate plenty volts, it's current that they need to be able to withstand!

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I started my stator tear down and rewind today. It lost chargeing voltage eventually it was over chargeing.
Read this editorial and gained confidence in doing the job myself.
So I took stator out and took some pics noted which way was wound. Then unwound all wire off took ten mins tops to unwind. Got wire local 18awg and started the rewind. Man is it painfully tedious. Lol I got 5 poles wrapped and gave up for the night. My fingers hurt. I'm having to use pliers to pull wire tight to the pole and keep wire nice and wrapped tight. Pheww its a Pain. Its looking good tho. So far have about two half hours invested. Prob be six hours total between tear down and rewind reassemble stator and cover.
NO WAY could you wrap a stator tight and nice in a hour... lol id put a 100$ bill down on it

Ill let you guys know how it works when I get finished up.

Spent 20$ on wire and electrical shop said they varnish for free :) but its gonna take close 7hrs Total probably. If it works great, then good. But if not Dang that's lot wasted time coulda bought new. But its worth a shot for Lil money and time

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Okay here's update. I ordered more wire what I got I ran short and wasn't sure of temp rating. So I got some off ebay 1 lb spool around 200ft had leftover. I did 28 wraps vs the 33 wraps and have 12.4 volts at 950-1000rpm @ 1200rpm its 12.8 and when revs go up it don't go over 14.5ish

For anyone who wants to do this after Lil practice from first wire I got I had it done in a hour and a half non stop winding. But the wire was 20$ and say two hours total. If I wouldn't off screwed off the first time lol

Well see how long it last. Just heard to many horror stories of Ricks Aftermarket stators

Thanks for the write up mtxmugen

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
All seems well so far put 200 miles on 20 them at speeds over 120 whole time and few times pegged out high rpm running for extended periods. Usually that combination has killed something everytime. But 100% okay still!
Worth it so far. Let ya know next month few thousand miles later. ;)

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UODATE

put 600morez miles on today tonight! Half were non stop didn't even turn off to fill back up the fuel tank. She was ran HARD most those miles. 100% issue free :) I'm very suprised. Since any other time they burnt up in a afternoon if I tried :) but let me tell ya she don't catch a break from me. Get ran very hard evrytime. Still charges under 14.5 at high rpm and bout 12.4-5_ at idle 950-1000rpms. Definately worth the twenty dollars and tine spent!

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Quick update...the stator that I rewound in late 2010 is still going strong. No sign of overheating, although admittedly I am running a reduced-strangth magnet flywheel. Now on my 3rd engine rebuild, but this stator is transferred from old engine to new engine every time!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello guys,

My name is Diego Luca and i´m from Uruguay.
I have a Honda CBR1000RR 2005 and I have problems with my stator.
I have burned it 4 times, and I rewound it.
I´m tired to rewound the stator, and now I want to have a solution to this problem... It is posible to connect the stator in wye connection and neutral point to negative?
I want to make my own regulator, and use a half wave diode bridge.
Someone try to do this?
I have simulated it in a software and this running better than full wave bridge.
With this modification... the winding must run much cooler...
Thanks,

Diego

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Hello guys,

My name is Diego Luca and i´m from Uruguay.
I have a Honda CBR1000RR 2005 and I have problems with my stator.
I have burned it 4 times, and I rewound it.
I´m tired to rewound the stator, and now I want to have a solution to this problem... It is posible to connect the stator in wye connection and neutral point to negative?
I want to make my own regulator, and use a half wave diode bridge.
Someone try to do this?
I have simulated it in a software and this running better than full wave bridge.
With this modification... the winding must run much cooler...
Thanks,

Diego
Hi Diego,

I've had several commercial rewinds as y-connections, and none survived longer than 1 year, most shorter. I rewound my stator finally as delta-connected, and put a reduced-stregth magnet flywheel on the bike. Regulator runs cool, enough power for normal use (including running a 100W headlight bulb ) and the stator still looks good after more than 4 years. For details see previous posts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Diego,

I've had several commercial rewinds as y-connections, and none survived longer than 1 year, most shorter. I rewound my stator finally as delta-connected, and put a reduced-stregth magnet flywheel on the bike. Regulator runs cool, enough power for normal use (including running a 100W headlight bulb ) and the stator still looks good after more than 4 years. For details see previous posts.
Hi Oldbastard!!!

Thanks for your quick reply.
I was reading your previus post... which flywheel did you use? do you have a part number?
Or do you reduced the stregth magnet by some way?
Here in Uruguay it´s very difficult to find spare part to big bikes.
The only way to find it... is buying by ebay.
I have a new stator... is in delta connection and 17awg gauge, but I don´t want to use it, because I know that it will burn it.
I was thinking to try to reduce the stregth of the magnet with a high ac current.
But I´m not sure off it will be possible.
Thanks again for your reply.

Diego

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi guys,

Finally I buyed a cbr1000rr 2006-2007 flywheel on ebay.
With the new flywheel, the output current is 5 amp less.
It was 15 amp max with the original flywheel. This was to much for a 18awg wire. (stator in delta connection)
Now the output current is 10 amp max stator in the same connection.
This is pretty good for a 18 awg.
I hope to finished my problems with the generator.

Thanks to all.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: little motor theory

crispy stator
Hi MTXMUGEN,
7 years later and your thread is still helping people.

You've made this look simple so I'll be giving it a go over the next week or two.

I've signed up merely to say thank you.

Looks like you haven't been around since 2011, seems a bit eerie, I hope you're around somewhere helping people with one thing or another. All the best to you.

101 - 111 of 111 Posts