Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a DVD+/- burner for my computer. In the process of installing said drive I became quite disheartened with the prospect of unwrapping and regrooming the wiring. Since I'm increadibly lazy I opted to simply swap the burner with my DVD drive since it has got to be like 5 years old by now.

My 2 questions are:

1. Is it good to use the burner as a standard drive? I know it's capable of reading DVDs but should I use it as a primary drive after all it's wear and tear? Or is it a case of if it doesn't :shit: in the first 2 weeks it'll last for years of regular use??

2. Does it even matter if I burn with the +R or -R format? I really can't see why I would choose one method over the other since both can be read using standard DVD drives. I simply got a dual format to hedge my bets over which standard ends up reigning supreme but which should I use in the mean time?

TIA

-D

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
the only problems you will have are with older DVD players. My $700 5yold Sony player wont play disks that the $29 KLH player I bought last week will :(

·
Registered
154 Posts
Tell. Me about it. you can get $30 players at Acme that will do more than my $600 first gen Toshiba that made the initial trade show roll out. Hell, you couldn't buy these new features for any amount of $ at the time.Not that I'm bitchin'. just the way the ball bounces.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Don't worry about using the DVD drive as your standard drive. I currently have 2 drives in my box. One is a DVD player and the other is a CD-R/RW drive. Both get used for reading regular CDs and such (which one depends on the button I find first). I usually keep mine for 3-4 years before switching them out and I haven't actually lost a drive yet.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lfg929 said:
Don't worry about using the DVD drive as your standard drive. I currently have 2 drives in my box. One is a DVD player and the other is a CD-R/RW drive. Both get used for reading regular CDs and such (which one depends on the button I find first). I usually keep mine for 3-4 years before switching them out and I haven't actually lost a drive yet.
That's what i wanted to hear :thumb:

That and the -r is preferable right?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Yeah, unless you plan on sharing a lot of DVDs or such then I would figure out which one works best with your home DVD players. If both do then use the one with the cheapest media. If it is the same cost then flip a coin. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts