Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For those of you who have had their forks apart I just want to make sure that where the red arrows are on the spring collar (pic) is where the spring comes up over. I checked out the fiche but just wanted to confirm. :)

I am wanting to shorten my front forks internaly rather than just sliding the forks up the triple tree (which is what i have now). Schnitz makes lowering blocks for Kaws and Suzuki but none for the 954. Does anyone have any experience in shortening forks?? Or know of a company that makes lowering blocks??

*Please dont give me grief about lowering a bike, I 've heard it all* :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Shorten the forks? Are you CRAZY? That's going to ruin the handling... You better go buy an R1.

(hehe... how long did it take you to post this?? )

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
loser. :p Ok, no more hijacking
hahah.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Yes that is exactly where the spring rests. When I installed my .95 springs I cut them about where the hole is in the top to account for the longer spring. So I imagine if you cut some length off the top and still retain the stock spring it will be lower in front. But it will be lower because it will have more sag and will have less distance to travel before bottoming. If you are very light and don't ride agressively it may not be an issue but it might be a better idea to raise the forks in the clamp. Or hang by your ankles for a hour or two every day.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
ND4SPD said:
I think those might be extensions to her heels, not spring collars :D
Is that a "Politically Correct" statement?? :idunno:

I know people who've gotten in trouble for less than that.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
CBRjack said:
Yes that is exactly where the spring rests. When I installed my .95 springs I cut them about where the hole is in the top to account for the longer spring. So I imagine if you cut some length off the top and still retain the stock spring it will be lower in front. But it will be lower because it will have more sag and will have less distance to travel before bottoming. If you are very light and don't ride agressively it may not be an issue but it might be a better idea to raise the forks in the clamp. Or hang by your ankles for a hour or two every day.
Thats what we had been thinking about doing with the collars and probably will do. The ankle thing doesn't work well...I just end up getting dizzy from the blooding going to my head. :smilebig:

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
You do cut that spacer on the top and you have to drill a new hole for the air/oil to vent otherwise you will have a hydrolock situation and possible burst that spacer under extreme fork travel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts