Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just registered on here.

I got a 98 - RRW and am about to do my 1st ever track day.
Its running a std 16" front, runnning michelin pilot sport on the front and pilot power on the back.
Michelin told me not a good idea as stickier rear can push the front too hard and cause a washout.

so......

Do I change front and rear (rear was new 300 miles ago) for a set of Dunlop qualifiers or the like (cant do michelin as 16" restricts tyre choice)
or
get a 17" front from fleabay and get a pilot power on the front.

If.. I get qa 17" front do they bolt straight on with no adjustments to the bike.....

Cheers

Oh, just ordered a 15 tooth sprocket (1 tooth down) for front too, are these pretty straight forward to fit...

Thanks again....

·
Registered
88 Posts
Welcome Jay,

I used to have a 300zx, I also have a 98 900RR.

If.. I get qa 17" front do they bolt straight on with no adjustments to the bike.....

Oh, just ordered a 15 tooth sprocket (1 tooth down) for front too, are these pretty straight forward to fit...
Not 100% sure about the 17" wheel swap. I have read the VTR1000 wheel fits perfectly (with its own bearings and spacers). The VFR 400,VFR750,and the CBR600F3 wheels should also fit but with your own stock axle spacers and rotors.

Personally I just use Metzeler M3 tyres and recommend them. If I was going to use slicks or 16 inch tyres suddenly dissapeared I would probably upgrade the whole front end with 929/954 forks, triple clamps, brakes, wheel, as others have done this and said it all bolts on easily.

I use a 15 tooth front sprocket for trackdays too. You just loosen the rear wheel (while on race stand), remove the front sprocket cover, take the chain off the front sprocket, loosen the bolt holding the sprocket (this is usually very tight), then pop the new sprocket on and wrap the chain around it. Make sure you tighten the sprocket bolt nice and tight, if you have a torque wrench use it.

Some advice on the trackday. Take it easy. Listen and ask for advice. I crashed at the track and a couple thousand bucks later the bike is nearly ready again.

Hope that helps you out.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts