Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always been told that tyre pressures are set at cold but I've since heard that some people at track events maintain that setting them after a track session is best.

I disagree but I was just wondering what the reasons for this would be?

·
Registered
900 Posts
tyre pressures should always be done cold, rule of thumb, difference between hot and cold is about 5psi, maybe for track use they check when hot,because they keep a record of tyre temps on them tracks that work the best, and you cant wait for tyres to cool to check them, run mine at 32psi cold on rear when at the track, eccept at the nurburgring where i put 38psi as the track has many different surfaces....

·
Registered
5,320 Posts
At the track tire temp is set when and if your tires are cold but once they are hot and everything expands the tire pressure has to be adjusted. If you are using tire warmers it helps to maintain the tire temp and pressure, because after each practice tire warmers go right back on the tires, they help the tires from going through too many heat cycles also. Like Rick said this really only is important for race tires being that they are a much softer compound than street tires.

·
Registered
5,320 Posts
tyre pressures should always be done cold, rule of thumb, difference between hot and cold is about 5psi, maybe for track use they check when hot,because they keep a record of tyre temps on them tracks that work the best, and you cant wait for tyres to cool to check them, run mine at 32psi cold on rear when at the track, eccept at the nurburgring where i put 38psi as the track has many different surfaces....
Hey Rick what kind of tires do you use at the track?

·
Premium Member
4,172 Posts
I've always been told that tyre pressures are set at cold but I've since heard that some people at track events maintain that setting them after a track session is best.

On the street, it's only important to have correct pressure when cold. Street ridding, usually doesnt require the tally of recorded temps per number of laps.
Of course you dont have enough time to wait for the tire to get cold when your running from the copper any who. So, check em cold, make em right, ride like you stoll it, the wrest fo the day...................:smilebig:

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts

Tyre pressures are given cold purely because it's more usual for people to check them cold than "hot" which could be anything from 30C to 100C depending on the rider. "Cold" actually means "ambient" so could also cover anything from below 0C to over 60C depending on where you parked your bike overnight.
But we rarely actually try to make "cold" tyres perform better than when they're hot so it is doesn't relate to reality very well.
You are setting the pressures to achieve the designed profile of the tyre when it's at operating temperature.
I check my pressures with surface temp around 80C and aim for 34psi.
Then you adjust your suspension to get the optimum heat in the tyres.
But be aware that the temp you see in the pits after a session is unlikely to equate to what the tyres are running at on the track. At Philip Island the pit entry is so long that after a session my tyres were often _colder_ than the ambient air temperature.

Reactions: sidmarklong

·
Registered
900 Posts
Hey Rick what kind of tires do you use at the track?
To be fair i ride to the track, then prep bike, have my wicked way then ride her home again, so i run BT016 or diablo corsa III, so it covers all i need, in winter (on the road that is) i run bt021, better life and good grip in the wet.:smilebig:

·
Registered
5,320 Posts
To be fair i ride to the track, then prep bike, have my wicked way then ride her home again, so i run BT016 or diablo corsa III, so it covers all i need, in winter (on the road that is) i run bt021, better life and good grip in the wet.:smilebig:
Wow,I can definately admire that.:thumb: I definately don't feel like riding home after a track day.:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts