Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a new set of rubber to suit UK roads; for those that don't understand the difference between UK and the rest of the world it means potholed, poor surface, stray sheep, cow **** and anything else an underfunded government can throw at it.

Advice please and why is there no UK flag waving smiley seeing as we are standing shoulder to shoulder in Afghanistan?

:sniper:

·
Registered
6,507 Posts
Buy a KTM or BMW GSAdventure, that should do the trick! :rotfl: (I would if I had the £££s...) They seem to be the best bikes for our crappy roads nowadays.

I don't think the rubber makes a lot of difference in all honesty, they're all much of a muchness. No tyre will grip on gravel, cow sh!t, potholes or (as I have found out) ice. Sheep don't really care whether you're on Pirellis or Bridgestones either!

I prefer sport touring or road tyres to sports ones personally. But apart from that, it's down to personal peference.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've never done any research on the rubber, the rear Bridgestone lasted 1200 miles so now i'm forced to change it. The AJS has rubber made from Kryptonite and of course considerably less torque.
I'll look at sport touring, thanks for the advice !

·
Registered
6,507 Posts
The favouries will be the usual manufacturers - Michelin Pilot Road 2, Pirelli Angel, Dunlop Roadsmart, Bridgestome 021, Avon Storm ST. All get good reviews, I've heard good things about the Dunlop and Pirelli offerings.

I have not tried any of them myself though, due to the 16" front wheel on my bike I'm pretty limited.

·
Registered
902 Posts
The favouries will be the usual manufacturers - Michelin Pilot Road 2, Pirelli Angel, Dunlop Roadsmart, Bridgestome 021, Avon Storm ST. All get good reviews, I've heard good things about the Dunlop and Pirelli offerings.

I have not tried any of them myself though, due to the 16" front wheel on my bike I'm pretty limited.
I put a set of Bridgestone 021 on mine in october ready for winter they last and i still got a few miles on them , but deffo changing back to my 016 ,s when they go, as they just dont lend themselfs to being pushed hard on the back roads of norfolk.
Its all down to the way you "want " to ride:thumb:

·
Registered
166 Posts
you can pick up a set of scrubbed in racetecs and fitted for less than £100 think RJS superbikes at Mallory still do them! loads of life left on them and good profiles.190/55 rears K2 compound tip over a dream and planted! had three sets now cant fault them!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I paint a bleak picture of North Staffordshire and Peak District roads, but there are some of the best ride outs in the country between Macclesfield, Buxton, Leek and Matlock and i want the best rubber to exploit them. Thanks for the advice boys. I'm in Kazakhstan and its minus 37 today. Leathers won't cut it out here!
Enjoy the weekend.

·
Registered
21,183 Posts
I paint a bleak picture of North Staffordshire and Peak District roads, but there are some of the best ride outs in the country between Macclesfield, Buxton, Leek and Matlock and i want the best rubber to exploit them. Thanks for the advice boys. I'm in Kazakhstan and its minus 37 today. Leathers won't cut it out here!
Enjoy the weekend.
Well 2cts are great on sportsbikes if you know what i mean ;) ;)

·
Registered
656 Posts
I'm loving my new Metzeler Sportec M3's.
Greek roads are just as bad or worse and are more slippery dry than in the UK when wet.

2thumbs up on M3s for performance/mileage

Mich. Pilot Road 2ct are great for mileage and if prolonged urban or straight highway use trashes your other tires into square pieces of car tire, you will be amazed what those things will look like 10,000mi later.
They grip like sport tires on corners and last for ever in the center. Some people complain of insecure feeling on the entry just before they are leaned over fully and grip on the soft side but you get used to it after a while.
I think the M3 for sport bike riding with this much torque, and craving to sprint at the limit of adhesion, are great. Just if they were made for this bike.

I think sport compound tires that work great for track days, are just for that, and a waste of time and money for the street. Remember if you change tires every 2000mi you are scratching your wheels as often!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Need a new set of rubber to suit UK roads; for those that don't understand the difference between UK and the rest of the world it means potholed, poor surface, stray sheep, cow **** and anything else an underfunded government can throw at it.
Sound like Quebec

but no sheeps; and the last ones have to be called police officers. But they're actually just radar holding cash collectors located behind treacherous speed signs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.