Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my way to the docs for an appt and just as I hit the gas to pass a car to get in front of traffic, it sounds like my muffler got ripped off and it's ticking like a mother. Nothing seems off doing a visual inspection. Just turned over 32K miles. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Cover the tailpipe with a rag and have a listen to the rest of the exhaust to see if you can hear the leak, also give the muffler a shake/tap to hear if it has a rattle.

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
Is it popping a lot on deceleration?
Sounds like an exhaust leak on first impression.
Check all your exhaust connections, starting at the exhaust ports at the head. Maybe you blew a chunk of exhaust gasket?
What canister do you have, OEM or aftermarket?

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I agree with Jonboy, a gasket came apart on an old Kerker I had on another bike and it sounded like a messed up cam chain.......I replaced the gasket and it went away like...like.....magic:D

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
On my way to the docs for an appt and just as I hit the gas to pass a car to get in front of traffic, it sounds like my muffler got ripped off and it's ticking like a mother. Nothing seems off doing a visual inspection. Just turned over 32K miles. Any thoughts?

OEM muffler or aftermarket?
Check the HTEV is working?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, not sure yet. It went from running great and a second later like I had a handful of change in the engine along with the worst sounding exhaust ever. I've got roadside assistance with AMA so I just had it towed to a shop I trust. Should hear from them tomorrow. I'll close here FWIW so others can reference in the future and thanks for the input.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1 - 7 of 7 Posts