Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no... what started as a simple fork oil change has snowballed into a full blown Race Tech fork rebuild :smilebig: :smilebig:, steering head bearing switchover to tapered bearings :smilebig: , master cylinder and caliper rebuilds :mad: , new brake lines :smilebig: , new brake pads :smilebig: thank the lord i work for a dealership, i've only spent $600 so far, woulda cost me $1100 some if i didnt work there.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no.... not the bearings, the recall calls for changing the lower triple tree/steering stem, the replacement part has a slightly different geometry, i think the rake was decreased a little or something, at any rate.... it isnt a 954, i wouldnt own one. 929/954/600RR/RC51 you sit on top of them.... on a 900RR, you sit IN it

·
Registered
339 Posts
dingoRR said:
no.... not the bearings, the recall calls for changing the lower triple tree/steering stem, the replacement part has a slightly different geometry, i think the rake was decreased a little or something, at any rate.... it isnt a 954, i wouldnt own one. 929/954/600RR/RC51 you sit on top of them.... on a 900RR, you sit IN it
The paper I got was for a steering stem bearing recall.
Removing the tapered ones for ball type.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ND4SPD said:
Sounds to me like you're the perfect candidate for a cage :D
no... until Honda comes out with something that fits my bigass and is comfortable for me.... imma keep rocking the tank, i dont have any problem whatsoever handing people on 954's their asses, whether it be on the strip, or on the twisties, the 900 (well mine anyway) has a gob of low end grunt and still a ungodly 5k rpm hit that the 954 just doesnt have.

about the 954 recall... i remember now.. they changed the tapered bearings back to roller bearings because they were prone to tankslap during track conditions, whether tapered bearings cause it on a 900... i dont know, one thing i do know, is that tapered roller bearings are about 5x more durable and stronger than regular ball bearings.. and as much as i ride, i feel a lot better knowing i've got some meat inside the triple tree.

·
Registered
502 Posts
dingoRR said:
no... until Honda comes out with something that fits my bigass and is comfortable for me.... imma keep rocking the tank, i dont have any problem whatsoever handing people on 954's their asses, whether it be on the strip, or on the twisties, the 900 (well mine anyway) has a gob of low end grunt and still a ungodly 5k rpm hit that the 954 just doesnt have.

about the 954 recall... i remember now.. they changed the tapered bearings back to roller bearings because they were prone to tankslap during track conditions, whether tapered bearings cause it on a 900... i dont know, one thing i do know, is that tapered roller bearings are about 5x more durable and stronger than regular ball bearings.. and as much as i ride, i feel a lot better knowing i've got some meat inside the triple tree.
I switched to tapered roller bearings on my '96 900RR because the standard caged ball bearings didn't last for shite. The tapered rollers were more tempermental for adjustment, but once they were right, they stayed put and lasted the life (while I had it) of the bike.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Latebraking said:
I switched to tapered roller bearings on my '96 900RR because the standard caged ball bearings didn't last for shite. The tapered rollers were more tempermental for adjustment, but once they were right, they stayed put and lasted the life (while I had it) of the bike.
:metoo:

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
Chekman, better at least pull the steering stem and check for the metal shavings that are bound to be there (depending on your bike's serial #, sorry, don't remember what the cut-off # is). Mine had quite a few, not as many as some, but they were still there in semi-abundance. :thumb: I still wish I had checked it myself and retained the tapereds...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well, there was about 5" of snow and ice dropped here in Illinois last night and this morning, took me an hour and a half to get to work this morning, and by the time mr. parts guy got everything checked in from UPS, i had a boxful of goodies, i get home tonight, and open the gold valve package, and get to looking at the instructions, or lack thereof, and see a videotape, pop the tape in, and its got a choad rebuilding a set of Showa upside down cartridge forks for a dirtbike. :hmm: apparently, the gold valve kits race tech sells have universal instructions? i got the digital valving printout, so i know what and ho many shims i need to build the valving stack, but, piss poor instructions otherwise. the video would have been great for a CR250, but, doesn't show me shit for a 95 900RR. my forks are at work, i havent paid much attention to them yet, im hoping the compression adjuster body just unscrews from the lower fork leg and theres where the gold valve and new valving will go.... if not, im fk'n lost.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts