Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there are any less expensive license plate kits or idea other than the $250 undertail kits that are available for my 03' 954? I cannot afford to buy one of these right now but I also want to get rid of that ugly black "thing" on the back of my beautiful bike. I am not looking for anything flashy. I just want something that rids me of the flapper. I still want to keep the stock turn signals. Any idea would be helpful. I am about to cut that thing off this week.

Help!!!!!! :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,384 Posts
No need to cut...the flap unbolts. Look behind the reflector and see where it bolts into the tailsection. You'll need a 10mm socket. Take off the nut, pull off the reflector and voila. :smilebig: Don't forget to unplug the license plate light. It runs to the right rear side of the tail section just outside the rail. You may have to feel around a bit but there should be enough slack in the wires where you can pull them gently and unplug it.

It's been awhile since I did mine but that should help.

You'll need to remount the license plate but that's easy. Just remember to remount the reflector unless you want a reason to get pulled over.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,132 Posts
As recommended above, the Harris mount is much cheaper and looks great! You can kind of get a side view of mine, modded as described above, in the link below.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
Dude, my friend bought a 54 last year and it took him and i about 1hr tops to get that ugly thing out of there, and most importantly, we managed to keep it nice and clean........the mud flat uncrews right out, much easier then my 929, no cutting necessary.........don't waste your money...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help. I just completed the abortion of that ungly flap. I made a license plate holder out of a piece of 1/4"aluminum I had. It works well. I used the stock signals, plate holder, and plate light as well.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
847 Posts
The flat does actually have a purpose. It keeps rocks from chipping the tail light and fairing. Next time I buy a new bike, that ugly thing is staying on there.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,692 Posts
crei6845 said:
I mounted the Harris license plate holder on my 954 this afternoon. Couldn't figure out how to mount the plate. Ended up using double-stick tape until I can get some advice from the group. What is the trick?
Bill C.
I went to Home Depot and bought a piece of aluminum, cut it to length and drilled it to fit my plates hole pattern (measure your plate). I then centered the fabricated piece on my harris bracket, clamped it and then drilled it for pop rivets.

http://www.fireblades.org/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/2965/sort/1/cat/611/page/1

I believe some people just put holes through their plate to accomodate the bracket... I couldn't bring myself to do that. :smilebig:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
cbr99xx said:
I went to Home Depot and bought a piece of aluminum, cut it to length and drilled it to fit my plates hole pattern (measure your plate). I then centered the fabricated piece on my harris bracket, clamped it and then drilled it for pop rivets.

http://www.fireblades.org/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/2965/sort/1/cat/611/page/1

I believe some people just put holes through their plate to accomodate the bracket... I couldn't bring myself to do that. :smilebig:
Thanks for the feedback. I had difficulties seeing the attached pictures - sorted out the cookies settings, and your pictures are a real help! Simple, well-executed solution. Also noted your Speedo-Healer solution (?) in the tray, which I have yet to install (awaiting 520 +2-tooth rear sprocket setup). Who's exhaust are you using?
Bill C.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,692 Posts
crei6845 said:
Thanks for the feedback. I had difficulties seeing the attached pictures - sorted out the cookies settings, and your pictures are a real help! Simple, well-executed solution. Also noted your Speedo-Healer solution (?) in the tray, which I have yet to install (awaiting 520 +2-tooth rear sprocket setup). Who's exhaust are you using?
Bill C.
Thanks... The exhaust is a Jardine RT/1 bolt-on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,477 Posts
colryn said:
Thanks for the help. I just completed the abortion of that ungly flap. I made a license plate holder out of a piece of 1/4"aluminum I had. It works well. I used the stock signals, plate holder, and plate light as well.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Pics...PICS...where are the pics? :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts
just take the showel (mud flap) off mate and then stick ur number plate on!!!
the only thing u lose is the number plate light. :clap:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
i just took the whole assembly off the 1KRR....never did put that pesky lic plate on either. wouldn't recommend that, but that's the way i run my bike. no lic plate....no one can write down your tag numbers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
psubond said:
that's the way i run my bike. no lic plate....no one can write down your tag numbers.

Hmmm...So would you be one of the guys that speeds away with no license plate when the cops try to pull you over? Adding to sportbike riders already bad rep. :clap:
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top