Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Darling announces the fuel duty 'staged' rise

Fuel duty will rise more slowly than previously planned, Chancellor Alistair Darling said in his Budget speech.

A previously announced 3% rise in fuel duty will now be staggered, with a 1% rise in April, a further 1% rise in October, and then again next January.
"This staging will ease the pressure on businesses and family incomes," said Mr Darling.

Phasing in the increase rather than raising fuel duty by 3% immediately will cost £550m.

"The decision to phase in fuel duty is the second most expensive measure Mr Darling announced, and a difficult one for the Conservatives to reverse," according to BBC economics editor Stephanie Flanders.

Drivers' organisations welcomed Mr Darling's decision.

"At last there is some relief for cash-strapped motorists," Professor Stephen Glaister of the RAC Foundation said. "Over the past year [we] have seen the pump price of unleaded leap by 26.4p to almost record levels," he said.

"Had the full increase gone ahead, it would have added £1.50 to the typical cost of refilling a petrol or diesel car, or £37.50 a year.

"For a family with two petrol cars, that alone would have been four times the average increase in council tax for this coming year."

AA president Edmund King said he believed Mr Darling had responded to public pressure.

"Perhaps the thought of 32 million fuming drivers and voters influenced Government thinking," he said.
:mad: I want to know why the hell it's costing me £1.15 a litre for unleaded now when the price of oil is about $80 a barrel, but when the oil prices were close to $150 a barrel in 2008 it was costing me about £1.20 a litre..

I know the flucuations in the dollar play a part but you can't tell me thats all that is causing the current price hikes :mad:

·
Registered
745 Posts
:hitfan: :soapbox:

Loopy, Couldn't agree more!
My Blade used to cost £17 to fill.... it was £19.50 last week!

it sucks!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Fuel will rise by 2.35 pence per litre as he has taken some bio fuel concessions off which was in last years budget to be added on this years increase(why oh why cant they just be bl**dy honest about this) but the £ against the $ exchange rate has caused most of the increases because the money markets dont like whats happening in the UK for the moment.

For the benefit of our US cousins that makes gas over $7 a US gallon here in the UK.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Just looked at US fuel costs about $3 a gallon ish, is that about right.

That makes is only 50% cheaper than us, don't know why we are bitching so much. o yes 50% more expensive.
The radio today the guy was saying he filled up on "gas" and a people carrier came in and filled up, the "gas" was £24 and to fill the people carrier was £80.

I'm off to buy a bike ! a real fast sucker

At least if it going to cost i'm going to get there real quick

·
Registered
330 Posts
Well, this government is run by a bunch of fat retards who claim to be adults but have a behaviour & IQ of a kindergarten child!:mad:
I find the budgets boring & repetitive now. They just play childish game to pull wool over the eyes of the population and keep newspapers & speculators in business.
With oil @ 150$, the treasury was laughing all the way to the bank getting their 70 or so % duty and had the cheek to blame the oil producing countries (UK being one ironically)
Crude oil price came down but fuel price has been going up which in music to the ears of the government with the way they have bankrupted the country.

At the end of the day in my view until the day we get proper politicians who believe in the welfare of the country (that is when you would see pig in the sky:) ) budgets means more tax and nothing else:crying:

·
Registered
246 Posts
Hey Loopy am with u on this,by mid summer they reckon itll be over £1.20 a ltr,:mad: they just keep puying the petrol up a little bit at a time,and unlike last time the publi are sayin/doin nothing about it because the way the country is in at the mo,i think it time for more fuel protest and this time the uk ppl got to stick together !! but we all know that not ever gonna happen.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Its already over £1.20 down here and riseing quickly,the government are acting as bad as drug dealers IMO (get you hooked and put the price up)with 70% tax on fuel.Its a terrible tax burden and concider this,for as long as the UK sinks in the eyes of the money markets,the less dollars against the pound we will get,fuel will cost more as its bought in US$ and the more the government will get in tax due to VAT.So they get more of our hard earnt by just being more incompetent. Nice :thumb:

·
Registered
6,507 Posts
I won't even get started on this....

:thumbd::mad::rant::sniper::soapbox::pissed2::rockets::td::guns::banghead:

I just hope the clowns that led us in to this mess get comprehensively fired in the next election. I don't care if the others are no better, incompetence of this level can't go unpunished.

·
Premium Member
11,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I won't even get started on this....

:thumbd::mad::rant::sniper::soapbox::pissed2::rockets::td::guns::banghead:

I just hope the clowns that led us in to this mess get comprehensively fired in the next election. I don't care if the others are no better, incompetence of this level can't go unpunished.
I want to know what it would take for the British public to stand up and scream NO!!!

As a rule we Brits are an apathetic bunch who sit in the pub and whinge to our mates about things but can't be @rsed to actually DO anything about the things we are hacked off with..

·
Registered
180 Posts
From my viewpoint, the UK is well over the tipping point.

A damned pocket knife is deemed an "offensive weapon"...
People are prosecuted and imprisoned for protecting themselves, in their own home, from home invaders intent on robbing them...

The gasoline price here in the US is ~$2.70/gal ($0.484/gal tax included), which works out to about $0.71/Liter.... that translates into £0.48/Litre by today's exchange rate.

Your fat-ass government is pocketing about £0.72/L and the EEEEEvil corporation that does all the work providing you with fuel gets a few pennies.

You think its not time yet?

I want to know what it would take for the British public to stand up and scream NO!!!

·
Registered
11,724 Posts
It;s a nice thought but they'll get ****ing golden handshake and a pension for life and in the meantime i will not be able to afford the Anusol i'll need after being servilely butt****ed by my country !

·
Registered
745 Posts
everyone is so correct.....
Go relax, go ride your bikes.....

Just try not to think that while you are relaxing, they are getting more fuel / tax, more speeding tickets and you are not at home to complain!

·
Premium Member
21,012 Posts
Well if its any help its the same here, granted not as much as the UK but fuel is normaly around 75cents per litre...today I noticed its up to 97 cents a litre. So it may not be the fat cats in the UK (who take tax it too the hilt anyway) but more of a global price increase at the moment :idunno:

And yes I agree it is still a scary, ridiculous amount of tax that the govt impose on fuel in the UK:rant:

·
Premium Member
11,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh.. and just to make things better Road Tax is going up too* :thumbd:

Does this mean they will start fixing the feckin potholes soon.. I doubt it very much :mad:

*The tax on bikes under 400cc isn't going up though :thumb:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.