Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forum,

Check this **** out. A shop here in Orlando just tore my engine down to nuts/bolts and pieces only to determine nothing was wrong with the engine.

My service contract adjusted showed up and apparently found nothing to be wrong with the motor whatsoever.

Needless to say the shop is going to rebuild my motor and restore my bike to operation.

My question is:

Based on tearing the engine completely apart... besides gaskets and seals what else needs to be replaced other than oil, fluids, etc?

Do the piston rings need to be replaced?

I put it in the shop because a plug simply came loose and fell out from a backfire, and they tore my bike completely apart.

Holy Cow...

Needless to say my extended warranty adjuster said no way to that repair and or/work as it was not warranted...

Any help or assitance would be appreciated...

Hal

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
yeah you are, I can't believe they ripped it down for a spark plug, that is ridiculous, better make sure they do a good job of putting it back together,
how many miles does it have

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It had 20,000 ez miles... I had a backfire and lost 1 cylinder due to what I think was the spark plug popping loose. They said sorry and they will put it all back together and repair it.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Didn't they give you an estimate on "repairs"? Most places the law says they can't exceed a 10% overage without written permision, so hopefully you didn't do that. I'd be pitching a bitch at the owner for how his service crew could have done that to your bike and demanding an extended warranty (even if it is a dealership warranty) on anything that could go wrong because of them tearing it down. Good luck with it. :thumb:

·
Registered
685 Posts
am i the only dumb bastard here wondering why you didn't just check the plug thread to see if it was still good, and then simply screw the plug back in ? It sounds like either you ,or the last person who changed the plugs,didn't tighten them enough at install,and it just worked itself out.Also that shop sounds like a bunch of idiots(or thiefs) are running it,ripping apart a motor because a plug came loose....that's messed up, don't bring your bike there again.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
No, you aren't the only "dumb bastard here" there are lots of us :eyebrows:

What you say is very smart though; makes good sense :thumb:

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
am i the only dumb bastard here wondering why you didn't just check the plug thread to see if it was still good, and then simply screw the plug back in ? It sounds like either you ,or the last person who changed the plugs,didn't tighten them enough at install,and it just worked itself out.Also that shop sounds like a bunch of idiots(or thiefs) are running it,ripping apart a motor because a plug came loose....that's messed up, don't bring your bike there again.

souds like he didn't check anything and took it to the shop

·
Banned
1,715 Posts
I believe 954's have that issue, blowing spark plugs out. It's not real common but it has happened to some 954's.

You don't want new rings. If I was doing this I would reassemble the entire engine with the "old" parts and just use new seals/gaskets. Although i would not have torn an engine down because a spark plug came loose.

If the spark plug threads were pulled out of the head by compression forces, then you will need to have the spark plug thead repaired with an insert... do not Helicoil it! There are inserts made just for this but it requires special tools and removal of the engine cylinder head. That is all.

If the shop doesn't put it back together or fix the threads, take the head to a powersports shop and they should be able to install a spark plug thread insert.

This sounds like a bad case of bad tech work/guessing. I'd make the shop pay to put it back together correctly.

Also since the engine is having to be reassembled TELL them to check and adjust ALL the valves. The 954RR has one valve in particular that is always too tight.. it needs to be shimmed to bring it into good tolerance.

·
Banned
4,696 Posts
I believe 954's have that issue, blowing spark plugs out. It's not real common but it has happened to some 954's.

You don't want new rings. If I was doing this I would reassemble the entire engine with the "old" parts and just use new seals/gaskets. Although i would not have torn an engine down because a spark plug came loose.

If the spark plug threads were pulled out of the head by compression forces, then you will need to have the spark plug thead repaired with an insert... do not Helicoil it! There are inserts made just for this but it requires special tools and removal of the engine cylinder head. That is all.

If the shop doesn't put it back together or fix the threads, take the head to a powersports shop and they should be able to install a spark plug thread insert.

This sounds like a bad case of bad tech work/guessing. I'd make the shop pay to put it back together correctly.

Also since the engine is having to be reassembled TELL them to check and adjust ALL the valves. The 954RR has one valve in particular that is always too tight.. it needs to be shimmed to bring it into good tolerance.

just out of curiosity, why would you not replace the rings if the motor is apart

·
Banned
1,715 Posts
I would leave them because it's easier and they aren't the problem. Second rings wear into the cylinder and if you install new rings in a worn/used cylinder sleeve it won't break in properly, you'll never have as good of compression. Not unless the cylinder block is machined and then new rings are installed.

·
Banned
1,715 Posts
Oh duhh, I just read the part where he said the shop said sorry and will put it all back together.

They may have lost money on that job, but mainly due to their own ignorance. It's good of them to fix it all. Just don't let them stick you with a bill for more than $300.

·
Banned
694 Posts

I'm with quick on this as well. If the engine is torn apart I would at least hone the cylinders ( I don't know if they have a nikasil type plating or not check first) and install new rings. The ring are indeed matched "broken in" with the cylinders currently, but if you aren't the one who took it apart and don't know the rings have spun, they might be off from original on reinstall. Honing the cylinders is not expensive and neither are the rings. The shop would be happy you spent a little money, as they are doing the tear down for and rebuild labor free. and your engine would be a little "fresher" feeling. Hell, if you have any money to spend currently, check the bearings as well, and make sure they check the valves on reassembly.

·
Banned
543 Posts
Why does the head need to come off? And what's wrong with a good old helicoil? I keep hearing about these threaded inserts. I have not tried any but I have seen a couple, when they were siezed onto the spark plug I pulled out. A late machinist friend told me that a helicoil is stronger than the original.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts