Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased an undertail kit for my honda 929rr , Can't recall the make at this point in time....but I have no instructions and am wondering what the heck to do with the battery box and such....do I cut the existing and slide the new one in...help me out.. Heres a pic of the beast, recently upgrades jardine rt-1 exhaust..and soon undertail kit

Attachments

·
Yep...that would hurt ya!
1,088 Posts
I recently purchased an undertail kit for my honda 929rr , Can't recall the make at this point in time....but I have no instructions and am wondering what the heck to do with the battery box and such....do I cut the existing and slide the new one in...help me out.. Heres a pic of the beast, recently upgrades jardine rt-1 exhaust..and soon undertail kit
Bro - you are in trouble if you don't have some type of instructions. :( An undertail kit is one of those cut once and meaure 100 times deals. If you mess up on your cut, you're screwed. I would recommend going to the manufacturer's web site and see if there's a 1-2-3 quick install video or some type of instructions. If not - DON'T DO IT. Buy a decent undertail kit with instructions. :thumb:

BTW - nice bike!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am still v.pissed at my undertail kit from Hotbodies. Their instruction photos leave alot to be desired in terms of clarity. I knew from previous forum photos of 929's what to look for, to cut and to install. I still have some problems with the fitment of the undertail at the rear brake light and its contours at the front near where the bikes electrical is installed. Good luck though. TAKE YOUR TIME AND DO NOT RUSH YOUR CUTS.

·
Registered
786 Posts
After playing with my Hotbodies undertail enough I got it to fit the way i like.

Mine did not come with instructions either, so I found the hotbodies instructions online and started to work. I began by cutting a little shorter than it looked it should be, and kept trimming little by little off each bit until i got it where i liked it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Did you get you lock to fit right?

There does not seem to be enough clearance for it to operate the pillion latch sufficiently. I am trying to jimmy a fix such that I know it will operate the latch 100% of the time and not rotate the lock assembly. I am looking for other locks from other makes/models of bikes but so far they seem all the same.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I had to turn my lock around to make it function properly but it works just fine now. Mine was the hotbodies as well, your right their instructions do suck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Once I finish ordering new fairings over the winter I think that I will also order a new undertail kit from Mototeck. Really wish I had done more investigation before buying the Hotbodies for all the problems that I have found. It seems some of the undertails go on smartly (and I say that because I have seen some really nice installs) but it is inconsistant between different makes and models.:confused:

Oh well what the hell. Throw some more money at the problem and watch it go away.

·
Yep...that would hurt ya!
1,088 Posts
Mine is Hotbodies and I have NO problems at all. The instructions were quite vague but thanks to people on this site and patience - I got it done. It fits tight and looks awesome. 2K929 is exactly right - -only take off a tiny bit at a time until it's snug. :thumb:

·
Registered
61 Posts
i have read how people have installed the hotbodies undertail on a 2000 929 but i really havent seen ay good step by step pictures, is there any, i ordered one and just want to make sure i dont cut too much off.

·
Registered
786 Posts
There are instructions on the hotbodies website....but they aren't very good. They are something to start from. Then just trim bit by bit until it fits the way you like it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
yea the instructions on the site are terrible ud think, its 2008 they could use a new digital camera and get some pics, but i will just measure a few times and cut once and hope for the best,

·
Registered
786 Posts
If you are in doubt, cut about 2 inches back from what you think. Try it on, then see what you need to do from there. Once trimming the second time after the first test fit you should know exactly what you need to take off. Then try a second test fit. If you are happy bolt it in, if not, pop it out and trim another time until you are happy.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
well this thread would of been a lot of help last weekend!
Last Saturday i installed an under tail and pipes on my RC51 and like lot of people didn’t have any instructions, well after:smokin: thinking it thru.
I decided to go ahead and butcher the stock one. I did the trim a bit until you get what you need, and after some more :smokin: thinking. and trimming finally finished on Sunday night it ended up with me building a new under tray for the battery out of some galvanized sheet metal .016 thick so its really light and strong drilled and tapped 10-32 holes on the inside of the sub frame to mount it. it turned out ok. but i lost my trunk space since there’s holes and spaces I wont put anything back there in fear of losing it, at the end it looks good and the battery and EFI unit are really secure, this weekend ill paint it black to make it look a bit nicer, I miss my trunk already and are actually thinking of buying a used stock one and trying it all over again.:cool:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts