Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my name is Dean. I live in Alma, Ga. I have a ‘06 Honda CBR 1000RR that I bought last summer. It has 15,000 miles. Recently changed exhaust to slip on Arrow Maxi exhaust, not a full system change, I did not change headers or deleted catalytic converter. It runs fine now! Is a Dynojet Power Commander 5 or 6 series worth the cost? I do not race it. Leisure riding only. Would the Power Commander make that much noticeable difference in spending $350-400? If you ask someone or the company that’s selling them then sure they may say yes it’s worth it, but they’re just trying to sell the product instead of being honest. Thanks for any advice and your opinion! When I chgd the exhaust to the Arrow, I deleted the exhaust Servo valve and motor and installed the Servo buddy delete to not have any codes from that , I’m just a DIY person and want to know if the Power Commander is worth it, will it give me a “Wow” glad I done that when it’s said and done, is the juice worth the Squeeze?!?

· Registered
6 Posts
Hello, my name is Dean. I live in Alma, Ga. I have a ‘06 Honda CBR 1000RR that I bought last summer. It has 15,000 miles. Recently changed exhaust to slip on Arrow Maxi exhaust, not a full system change, I did not change headers or deleted catalytic converter. It runs fine now! Is a Dynojet Power Commander 5 or 6 series worth the cost? I do not race it. Leisure riding only. Would the Power Commander make that much noticeable difference in spending $350-400? If you ask someone or the company that’s selling them then sure they may say yes it’s worth it, but they’re just trying to sell the product instead of being honest. Thanks for any advice and your opinion! When I chgd the exhaust to the Arrow, I deleted the exhaust Servo valve and motor and installed the Servo buddy delete to not have any codes from that , I’m just a DIY person and want to know if the Power Commander is worth it, will it give me a “Wow” glad I done that when it’s said and done, is the juice worth the Squeeze?!?
My 04 cbr1000rr has a PC5 from a previous owner. It runs like a scalded dog!!! So I went to power commanders website and downloaded the free software to a laptop and a fuel map (you must sign up) and then I patched with a USB cable and started the program. when it connected I chose send table. when complete I unhooked the cable. and there ya go. SIDE NOTE.... I have a yoshi rs-5 with servo delete and stock or aftermarket air filters. There is a map specifically for a yoshi rs-5 w/wo stock filter.
That's it! start the bike and give a look over per usual and then get on a road shit some asphalt. Is it any better without it.... couldn't tell you. technically the pc5 just help straighten the fuel so your not to lean or rich after component changes like exhaust system or air system changes. hope this helps!

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My 04 cbr1000rr has a PC5 from a previous owner. It runs like a scalded dog!!! So I went to power commanders website and downloaded the free software to a laptop and a fuel map (you must sign up) and then I patched with a USB cable and started the program. when it connected I chose send table. when complete I unhooked the cable. and there ya go. SIDE NOTE.... I have a yoshi rs-5 with servo delete and stock or aftermarket air filters. There is a map specifically for a yoshi rs-5 w/wo stock filter.
That's it! start the bike and give a look over per usual and then get on a road shit some asphalt. Is it any better without it.... couldn't tell you. technically the pc5 just help straighten the fuel so your not to lean or rich after component changes like exhaust system or air system changes. hope this helps!
Yes it does help, thank you very much for your time! Appreciate your experience.

· Registered
14 Posts
Dynojet discountinued the PCV. It has been superceeded by the PC6. The only difference between the PC5 and PC6 is that the PC6 is carb approved and emmisions compliant for California. This means less adjustability in fuel tables and timing.

· Registered
3,619 Posts
Kind of digging this thread up, but Great looking bike! Is the power commander 6 worth it? Well, that's subjective for sure. Its part of a further investment which includes some hours with an experienced tuner to realize its full potential. So, lets say that's another $350 for 2 or 3 hours on the dynojet. Your current slip on probably add a few HP as it sits. While it gives a few HP, it probably had some small negative effect on drivability vs a completely stock machine. Probably imperceptible, but I would wager the torque and HP curves were smoother before the slip on and htev valve removal. With a PC6 you would, on the best day and with a tune from a tuner, realize the slip-on's full potential of maybe 8Hp and gain a noticeable improvement in drivability. Those are obviously made up numbers, but you would objectively gain some smoothness in the power delivery and smooth=fast.

Is say $750 worth maybe 4 more HP and a better feeling throttle response for a casual street rider? I'll let you decide because for some $750 is nothing, and for others its a lot.

$750 is well into new K-Tech RDS or Ohlin's NIX fork cartridge $$$ territory and without any doubt I personally would save up the extra $400 and put it towards one of those if I already had $750 ready to throw at the bike.

Would I buy a PC6 without the intentions of seeing it through with the time and cost of a legit tune? Probably not. At the very least, I would spend the $400 a PC6 costs on new, weighted for me, fork springs and a fork rebuild, which if this bike has never had the forks rebuilt, would be a huge improvement that would undoubtable improve the bike more than slapping a PC6 with a web map on it.

· Registered
89 Posts
I have to say I have tried the dynojet maps online and for me personally they were garbage, rolling road tune (in my opinion) is the only option when fitting any power commander to any bike. The only way I see that a generic map could ever work is if every engine was blueprinted and everyone used the same fuel and lived in the same place with identical atmospheric pressure etc. etc. etc. the list goes on. If you want a power commander and are just going to use a generic map, I would spend that money on improving handling as 954kevin said above, it would be money better spent and an improvement that you "will" notice, brakes, tyres, suspension, or getting your suspension set up for you by a pro suspension guy will give you way more improvements than a power commander ever will.
With that all said, if you plan on changing a lot of things ie: air filter, exhaust, headers, cams etc. then you really need a power commander and you also need a good tuner, but leave the tuning to last on the list otherwise you will be paying for a new tune each time you add something else, the last thing you want is to bolt everything on and have the bike running lean. A well set up power commander will smooth out the power curve and the bike will be more "predictable" and less snatchy on the throttle, the air/fuel ratio will also be in the correct parameters, not too rich, and not too lean
Smoother is faster, I have had laps that I thought were slow and turned out to be my fastest laps, and laps that I thought were fast which were slower, with you concentrating on road riding I very much doubt you need more power, but a smooth bike is so much more pleasure and fun to ride, whether that is smooth on the throttle or smooth on the handling, if you are like me and countless others your "improvements" won't ever end, biggest tip of all that I can give to anyone is just enjoy it to the full. ;)(y)

· Registered
1,141 Posts
I have hardware and software for an early version ECU hack to do several things, including tune the AFR, run my QS and even run a map switch and pit lane limiter. I hadn't done it, lacking a Windows machine to bring to the garage to tinker with it. It's been shelved for a couple years.

Last I looked into it, Woolich sells something similar and has the support to help the user/owner if you run into any issues. IIRC, they even tried to get launch control into the software. I don't recall if they made it work on our SC57s or not.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts