Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Waddup all. My first post so, I will just say glad to have found this site for the 954 and also happy to be part of the 954 scene. I'm 28, active duty USAF in NW FL.

My silver/black '02 '54 I just picked up was immaculately kept up by the previous owner. The bike was stock with the exception of the rear sprocket being upgraded +2, for more bottom end. I have since added a Micron Slip-on which definitely added a noticible/slight performance enhancement, besides the definite increase in "rumble"(not "too" obnoxious, but DEFINITELY there). Have a pair of Power Pilots I'm waiting to throw on, and lastly went with a Fabbri doublebouble(dark tint)...I will highly recommend.

...Getting to the question, I have not been able to find the answer too in the site threads, are if you are to go +2 teeth in the rear, does and how does it affect the speed-o-meter. Additionally, I noticed I can only have a selection of 5 gears and my average mpg is only 110.

Any replies MOST appreciated..safe riding ALL. :smokin:

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
CBR929RE said:
...and I assume you mean 110 miles to the tank not to the gallon
LOL!
110 mpg would rule!

And I'm also quite curious about the "five gears" comment. Are you sure you're counting them all? If you can't find six gears, you might want to have that thing looked at. ;)

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Careful about new tires with that +2 on the back. You may find the new tires, depending on their profile, may rub the back of the swingarm.
As far as the speedometer, it will read higher now. You will need one of those speedo recalibrators.

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
I think the 6th gear comment means he doesn't need to use it, the bike is so fast. Sixth gear is even more useless with the stock gearing. Do you know if the previous owner got a longer chain? If the front sprocket is still a stock 16 and the rear is a 45, I seem to recall that the stock chain will not fit, so check to make sure the chain's not too tight. The slack should be 1.5 - 2 inches. I went with a 15/44 sprocket combo so I could use the stock chain.
The tire comment is important, too. I think you'll be ok with the stock rear size (190/50), but if you go to a taller profile, say 180/55 or 190/55, the center of the tire may rub on the back of the swingarm once the tire has expanded after reaching operating temperature.
The speedo is approximately 6% off with stock gearing. Mine was around 12% off after changing gearing, yours is probably close to that. There are two units on the market that are plug n play to correct the speedo. Just measure how far off it is with a GPS or mile markers, then plug that percent into the unit. I have a Jim Ahlman's box. The other unit is called a Speedo Healer.
Depending on how I'm riding, I think I can get about 120 miles before needing a fillup. Roughly.

Welcome to the site! :thumb:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
CBR929RE said:
:welcome:

what do you mean only 5 gears to choose from? does it not go into sixth?
and I assume you mean 110 miles to the tank not to the gallon
LOL, you assume correctly; more specifically from full tank to "light on". I have read that 130ish is about average on the '54.

5 gears, means exactly that. 1 down and 4 up... Yup, I dunno either :confused:

Guyz, the Power Pilots are 190/50 and 120/50 :thumb:

The previous owner made me aware of his sprocket upgrade and how he adjusted the chain accordingly. He was very mechanically inclined and being his 3rd bike and having assorted homemade ATV's I know he did the upgrade right.

What is troubling is that, though I love the power, riding most of my work commute on the highway, I wish I had my #6 gear...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HondaGalToo said:
The speedo is approximately 6% off with stock gearing. Mine was around 12% off after changing gearing, yours is probably close to that. There are two units on the market that are plug n play to correct the speedo. Just measure how far off it is with a GPS or mile markers, then plug that percent into the unit. I have a Jim Ahlman's box. The other unit is called a Speedo Healer.
Depending on how I'm riding, I think I can get about 120 miles before needing a fillup. Roughly.

Welcome to the site! :thumb:
:thumb:

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
If you are missing a gear, your bike was NOT immaculately kept by the previous owner.
If it is truly gone, it will cost you a few hundred to get it fixed.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BDA116 said:
If you are missing a gear, your bike was NOT immaculately kept by the previous owner.
That statement is debateable, when it runs and sparkles so :eyebrows: It is definitely missing a gear, though :idunno:

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
Can't help with the gear problem, but that doesn't sound so good.
Front tire is 120/50? Huh. Stock size is 120/70. I've never tried a lower profile on the front. Anyone think that'll make it handle worse? Watch out for potholes!

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
HondaGalToo said:
Can't help with the gear problem, but that doesn't sound so good.
Front tire is 120/50? Huh. Stock size is 120/70. I've never tried a lower profile on the front. Anyone think that'll make it handle worse? Watch out for potholes!
I'd bet he meant 70, not 50. I dont think they make a 120/50. Thewe would be almost no sidewall :eek:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts