Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’ve started work on what I will call a bike dolly (see pictures below)

Dolly consists of,

7’ X 3’ sheet of ¾” birch with reinforced frame on the underside
6 swivel casters (4 corners to have brakes) polypropylene or neoprene, open for suggestions

So far I have completed the frame, my main concern is how to get the bike on to the dolly safely. The dolly will stand roughly 6 to 7’ off the ground. Was thinking about a 2” X 6”, any ideas?

Not my dolly, but this will give you an idea

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
Re: Looking for ideas!!

soon2b954 said:

Dolly consists of,

6 swivel casters (4 corners to have brakes) polypropylene or neoprene, open for suggestions

So far I have completed the frame, my main concern is how to get the bike on to the dolly safely. The dolly will stand roughly 6 to 7’ off the ground. Was thinking about a 2” X 6”, any ideas?

wheelie the front wheel on and stoppie the back wheel on :smilebig:

·
Registered
7,724 Posts

soon2b954 said:

Dolly consists of,

So you want the bike at a height where you could work on it I guess... correct?

·
Registered
3,203 Posts

I would just make sure the rear set of castors is right on the edge so then you can just lay a 3 foot ramp (2x6 or 2x8 with a ramp end bolted on) on the edge. Perhaps mount a wheel chock and a couple of tiedown points (Eye hooks) so when your just doing stuff that doesnt require removing the wheels, you can just tie it off fromthe handlebars or use a canyondancer. I have a 2' tall bike work table, but the idea of being able to wheel it about sounds convienient when you need to store it off to the side while your waiting for parts or tires to come back.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

G-Force Junkie said:
I would just make sure the rear set of castors is right on the edge so then you can just lay a 3 foot ramp (2x6 or 2x8 with a ramp end bolted on) on the edge. Perhaps mount a wheel chock and a couple of tiedown points (Eye hooks) so when your just doing stuff that doesnt require removing the wheels, you can just tie it off fromthe handlebars or use a canyondancer. I have a 2' tall bike work table, but the idea of being able to wheel it about sounds convienient when you need to store it off to the side while your waiting for parts or tires to come back.
The main purpose of the dolly will be for winter storage (easy to move to the front of the garage so I can get my car in for the winter months) and maintenance. I don't want the ramp to be permanent, as it will take a lot of space up. Does anyone make a thin metal ramp that is affordable?

·
Registered
11,098 Posts

soon2b954 said:
The main purpose of the dolly will be for winter storage (easy to move to the front of the garage so I can get my car in for the winter months) and maintenance. I don't want the ramp to be permanent, as it will take a lot of space up. Does anyone make a thin metal ramp that is affordable?
If it's mainly for storage, then just make it a "U" shaped channel. Ride right on, with no ramp required....

·
Registered
3,086 Posts

most of my dollys used for moving my floor standing power tools use a ring in front and two wheels in back. The ring in front is used as a pry point for a small truck that is basicly a lever on casters with a pry pin that engages the ring. You can get these trucks at woodcrafters or make one. Moves big stuff around from a low CoG very well. Other than that, you can mount the casters in such a way as to raise them off the floor with a threaded rod /etc...

here's a wood lathe mobile base that utilizes a foot lever for example:
Delta 50-332 Mobile Base for 46-701 Wood Lathe

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Well I finished my "project dolly" a few weeks ago but didn’t have access to a digital camera. I’m pretty happy with the way it turned out, very easy to move the bike around. It will also make maintenance a lot easier as well.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Put the short side of the dolly against the wall. Small board under the opposite end so it dosent flip the dolly up. Use a ramp and youre on!

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
CBRBob said:
Put the short side of the dolly against the wall. Small board under the opposite end so it dosent flip the dolly up. Use a ramp and youre on!
Believe it or not, having the brakes on the four corner wheels was enough to ride the bike on without the dolly moving!! :thumb:

·
Registered
329 Posts
That's a darn good idea, especially for cramped garages. Where do you get wood like that? I've not seen anything like that at Home Depot.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Kidder said:
That's a darn good idea, especially for cramped garages. Where do you get wood like that? I've not seen anything like that at Home Depot.
I did in fact buy the wood from Home Depot. It's 3/4" birch, comes in 4'X8' sheets, I had them make the first two cuts (actual size of the main platform) which are free. Cut the rest at home with a skill saw.

I did finish the wood with Thompson's to protect and give it that Cedar look!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts