Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does a v-nose trailer actually give you better gas milage? I have been trying to get an answer on this for a while but, either the owner has changed tow vehicles with the 2 different trailers, or the trailers were different sizes.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
806 Posts
Semi's can't afford the extra space that a V-nose would require. And they have those cowls on top (most of the time) that completes the "slipstream". There's no need to a semi trailer to have a v-nose to cut the air...

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
I think it would be more aerodynamic with the V on the back of the trailer. That's where the (fuel sucking) turbulence comes from.

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
phobiaphobe said:
I think it would be more aerodynamic with the V on the back of the trailer. That's where the (fuel sucking) turbulence comes from.
I considered putting one of those semi-bumps on the bottom of my trailer door (won't interfere with ramp operation on the bottom) and see what it did for mileage

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
phobiaphobe said:
+1 to Frenchy. :thumb:

The front gives a better Cd, but more x-sectional area. The focus should be on the rear for milage.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They can put ramps into the v-nose, so just make a double v-nose with ramps on both ends. :idunno:

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
luvtolean said:
+1 to Frenchy. :thumb:

The front gives a better Cd, but more x-sectional area. The focus should be on the rear for milage.
Optionally you could also treat the sides to reduce the drag.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
I would be curious about the added efficency with a streamlined trailer, with the ass end tapering to a nice point like the cone they put on the tail end of the space shuttle. Practial problems is alot of added length of unusable space. But a big 8' diameter Airstream looking trailer shaped like the belly drop tank of a P-38 would be very cool :)

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
G-Force Junkie said:
I would be curious about the added efficency with a streamlined trailer, with the ass end tapering to a nice point like the cone they put on the tail end of the space shuttle. Practial problems is alot of added length of unusable space. But a big 8' diameter Airstream looking trailer shaped like the belly drop tank of a P-38 would be very cool :)
Unusable space? Hell no. Put a rack in there for the beer.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Personally I dont see the point in buying a vnosed trailer. I have towed a few different trailers personally, and to be honest its more the weight that affects milage. Otherwise its so minimal is it worth it

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have a v-nose trailer that I tow behind my F250, cuts the mileage down to about 9 as opposed to my regular 12; I haven't owned a regular boxed trailer (not a v-nose), but I don't think it would help my mileage any....the "aerodynamics" of a v-nose are negligible in my opinion; I just bought a v-nose for the extra space up front

1 - 16 of 16 Posts