Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I got a V30 magna that was abandoned in some barn corner for years and have been tinkering to get it running.
- de-rusted tank, drained bad gas from secondary
- frankensteined good carbs together
- replaced broken and degenerated parts/fluids

It starts and idles smoothly with the choke on, but dies when I try to rev it over about 2-3000 rpm. I've come up with two possible theories which I'd appreciate knowledgeable comments on:
- fuel pump isn't pumping, or isn't pumping enough
I'm assuming the fuel pump is the dingus that resembles a big hex cap with two male spade connectors sticking out. If I hotwire it from the battery, should it do something that will tell me if it's working, or do I need to drain all the fuel and take it out to check its function?

- unsealable airbox gaps are leaning out mix too much (choke might compensate at low rpm)
Actually, I've gotten conflicting stories about this theory. Some say airbox gaps upstream don't matter. Others say it robs power.

Please help make this beast roar instead of whimper!
Jeff
79 XS1100 - electrocuted by a short
80 XS1100 - engine transplant - jury still out on success/failure
83 CX650 - bought as a basket, still a basket
81 KZ305 - only runner now, but too wimpy for my 190 lbs
84 V30 Magna - hmm

PS Also, I have a V30 manual which some people asked about.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Jefe, Wayne here, I have a 1985 V30 Magna that I've ridden for years without issues. It just died pulling into my parking spot late last season just as I was ready to store it. Now that the good weather, I went to start it and experirence exactly what you are describing. It will start and idle, I can rev it with the choke but the moment I touch the throttle, it's like hitting the kill switch. Very puzzling. These are carburated engines so I don't see an electrical cut out, fuel pump and filter should be good or else it would have issues with revving under choke. Conversations I've had indicate an air leak. The carbs are a pain to get to, the tank doesn't have a shut-off so you can easily pull the line. I haven't tackled this all yet but when I do I'll be sure to keep you informed. I would appreciate any further information that you or anyone else may have.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I ride one of these. I had the same problem when I first got mine. My lower tank was completely clogged with rust and gunk - AND the fuel pump went out. Probably related. If you can hear your fuel pump running, I'd say just take the lower tank off and clean it out. There's also a fuel filter down by the pump that could be clogged. Once I cleaned out my tank and rigged a new pump and filter (because you can't get the replacement), mine runs like a champ. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Songwright, I appreciate the information, thank you very much. I'll have a look at the lower tank and fuel pump/filter. I'm still a little puzzled because fuel supply doesn't seem to be a problem when regulating with the choke, only the moment I touch the throttle. What did you mean "can't get replacements"? I haven't sought repelacement parts for anythng on this bike, even though I've owned it for 10 years! Are there parts I can anticipate won't be availble? Nice to know before I begin searching! Thanks again Songwright.

Wayne in Chicago

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wayne,

I was just wondering a couple days ago if you'd gotten your bike fixed. Let me address a couple of your questions. First, back to your initial post. The fuel pump is actually down at the bottom, just in front of the back tire. If you're looking at the right side of the bike, it's all tucked in behind the fuel selector valve. You'll need to take the rear wheel off to get in there to it. The filter is down there with it as well, and they are kind of wrapped up in a rubber blanket. The hex shaped thing is the fuel level sensor that makes your red light come on when the fuel is low in the lower tank.

As for parts availability, I've been able to find most everything I've needed on ebay, etc, but some things just aren't anywhere to be found, e.g. fuel pump, temp (fan) switch, sissy bar...

However, you can often find something close that actually fits a car and make it work. For my fuel pump, I used one for an 83 Honda Civic (I think that's right) Temp switch also fit a car - can't remember which one. If I had it to do over, I think I would buy a fuel pump for a later model Magna, VF700 or something and use it. They can run you a bit more than the $25 or so that I spent, but it will also be smaller and will fit better in the extremely tight space you gotta put it in.

As for why it only shows up when you crack the throttle, good question. I guess you're getting JUST enough fuel at the lower rpm. Mine did the EXACT same thing. I'll also say that I thought mine ran pretty good when I first got it (before the full manifestation of the gunk), but after cleaning out the tank and putting on the new filter, it REALLY runs. Talk about an extreme difference.

I know this is long, but one final word. When you take that side tank off, inspect it thoroughly for pinholes after you clean it. I found out the hard way on that one. I was able to patch it up with JB Weld, but it sure would have been nice to catch it BEFORE I put it back on and filled it up with fuel. What a mess....

Good luck. I hope you're riding again soon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Okay, a couple more final thoughts - really.... :)

I now see that Wayne wasn't the one who asked if the hex thing was the fuel pump.

For some good thoughts and ideas on workarounds for all things Magna, check out Tony's Magna Book (google it, I don't know if I can post a link here).

Finally, you might find an old used V30 fuel pump out there somewhere, but as much trouble as they are to change, I personally wouldn't trust it. I'd try to find one a bit newer of a VF700 or 750 that I could make fit (or maybe a Honda Civic...)

Eric

·
Registered
5 Posts
Songwright, I tore into the V30 this morning and determned that the fuel pump is shot. Tanks are clean, filter was good but replaced it anyway with a generic automotive inline. I'm very grateful for your guidance. I wasn't aware that automotive pumps could be used. I was at a loss as to how to resurrect my comfortable old ride. I'm glad there are options, didn't know until you told me, thank you again. I'll keep in touch and let you know how it goes. Be well, Wayne in Chicago.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi guys, thanks for your input - I thought this thread was dead, and am really glad it's not, because I just rebuilt the carbs again, and lost ground (now it idles, but won't rev at all).

Off to replace the fuel pump; I listened for it when I turn the key on and heard zilch, so I may have the problem in the sights.

My secondary tank was full of gasoline though it was old. I'm hoping that means it's not as rusty as the big one was.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Hi guys, thanks for your input - I thought this thread was dead, and am really glad it's not, because I just rebuilt the carbs again, and lost ground (now it idles, but won't rev at all).

Off to replace the fuel pump; I listened for it when I turn the key on and heard zilch, so I may have the problem in the sights.

My secondary tank was full of gasoline though it was old. I'm hoping that means it's not as rusty as the big one was.

Jeff

I wouldn't expect the pump to come on until you hit the starter button.
Definately do not connect the cleaned carbs to the fuel tank until you've cleaned the tank out. You can run the engine for several minutes with just a couple of feet of fuel line full of fuel if you don't have a proper fuel rig.

·
Registered
35 Posts
too each and everyone that your v30 won't rev..your jets are stopped up..i would tear the carbs down..word of the wise..be very very careful when you assemble them !..there is a 90 degree plastic elbow in the two middle carbs..if you don't push them together just right.....snap !!!..and you cannot get them anywhere..not unless you buy a whole used carb from ebay !..as for the carbs themselves..over haul them !..i've been doing 3 wheelers..4 wheelers..motor cycles..and i'm just now on my 2nd v30 restore project....after carb's were cleaned..bench synched..bike runs like a top !..if you get stumped..holler at me..i'll see if i can help ya.

·
Registered
27 Posts
geesh thanks for the posts guys I was perusing and found this entire thread to be useful... not something I run across every day LOL ;)

Cheers

P.S. o.p. nice 'tags' for this thread HA HAA I had a good giggle outta them

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
bladeracer and shadetree - I think you're right about the immediate problem of the carb being gunked up again. After I drained the secondary tank, let it dry and peeked in, I found it full of rusty crap. So now, I'm trying figure out how to get it off to clean it.

I've got another problem, though, that I hope someone can help me with - no fuel pump! Since the secondary tank sits below the carbs, it seems like it wants to have a pump, but the outlet from that tank goes to petcock and then to the carbs. And I still haven't found any unattached power leads that would power it. Is this something the PO would have taken off because it stopped working? Arg!

Wayne - if you're still following this thread, how did you track down a fuel pump? I tried those links you posted, but couldn't find a fuel pump for a V30 in either of their schematics.

·
Registered
35 Posts
bladeracer and shadetree - I think you're right about the immediate problem of the carb being gunked up again. After I drained the secondary tank, let it dry and peeked in, I found it full of rusty crap. So now, I'm trying figure out how to get it off to clean it.

I've got another problem, though, that I hope someone can help me with - no fuel pump! Since the secondary tank sits below the carbs, it seems like it wants to have a pump, but the outlet from that tank goes to petcock and then to the carbs. And I still haven't found any unattached power leads that would power it. Is this something the PO would have taken off because it stopped working? Arg!

Wayne - if you're still following this thread, how did you track down a fuel pump? I tried those links you posted, but couldn't find a fuel pump for a V30 in either of their schematics.
yes....they need a fuel pump to run..it pumps from the sub tank..fuel runs through the fuel filter..then the petcock..then on to the carbs..sooo..yes..you need a fuel pump..there are some on ebay..just go to ebay..type in v30 magna fuel pump..there was one there the other day..not sure if it's still there ??....as for the power to the pump..it's a two wire connector..should be on right hand side..right of the battery box..alittle towards the frame..like behind the edge of the frame..thats where mine is. as for getting it out..wellllll...lol..the manual says you can take it out the right side...after you get everything pulled out...butttttt..i say..BS !!..LOL.. i had to remove mine from the rear...which means..the inner fender..rear tire..then it comes right out the back..this is how i did it. if you can't find a fuel pump on ebay..go to advanced auto parts store..tell them you need a 4 psi 12 vdc round fuel pump..it's about 40 bucks..you may have to add some fuel lines to it..but..it will work !!..let us know how it works for ya !.

·
Registered
35 Posts
jefe, call this guy..his name is danny..he has a salvage yard in nc, 864-682-7131..i got my headlight bucket from him..he's got alot of v30 parts...i'm sure he has a pump for ya !

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks, shadetree - I'll call Danny tomorrow (all ebay had wasa low-miles fuel pump bracket!)

And thanks for the tip about accessing it from behind. I need to take the back wheel off anyway to put on a new front sprocket, so this gets combined with that weekend chore. While wheel and fender are off, I hope taking out the secondary tank looks easier...

Jeff

·
Registered
35 Posts
thanks, shadetree - I'll call Danny tomorrow (all ebay had wasa low-miles fuel pump bracket!)

And thanks for the tip about accessing it from behind. I need to take the back wheel off anyway to put on a new front sprocket, so this gets combined with that weekend chore. While wheel and fender are off, I hope taking out the secondary tank looks easier...

Jeff
your welcome..let me know if he has your pump ?..if he don't..you can always go through a salvage locator service online too look for parts..that's how i found danny in nc. when you get the back tire off..just remove the inner fender..one 10mm bolt..and it pops off from the frame....bottom right.. near the swing arm is where your pump would be...along with the fuel filter..make sure you install a new filter !!!..more than likely..you can't get it from a dealer...as damn near every part for these bikes are not being made any more !..i got an after market fuel fliter from auto zone..it's alittle bigger than oem..but..hey..as long as it does it's job..who cares !..lol...oh..and while your shopping for that filter..you may as well grab up some new fuel hoses !..do not use or trust the old ones..now is the time to replace them. i bought all new fuel hoses 1/4 inch..rated for fuel injection..lol..$ 3.99 a foot..buttttttt..it will out last the bike ..well..close to it anyway..lol...i don't know if your fuel pump relay is any good..you won't know this until you go to try and start it by the start button ??...it won't start pumping until you are cranking it over..after you get another pump..and it doesn't start pumping..then i'd say your fuel pump relay is bad..yu'll just have to wait until you get another pump to find out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
OK, latest on the fuel pump issue on my 1985 V30 Magna VF500C. I found a direct fuel pump replacement from a CBR, the part number is 16710-MM-005. The only difference is the fuel line connections. The originals nipples are 1/4", the replacement is 3/8", the stock fuel lines are too small to fit the larger nipple. Take a short piece of 3/8" fuel lin, clamp it to the nipple, insert (telescope) the orginal fuel line inside the 3/8" and clamp it. I had to whittle the end down to a taper and use Armour All to lube it so that it would fit inside.
Fired it up, same problem. When I first started working on this thing I jumped the fuel pump (connector beside the frame tube, in front of side cover right side) directly to the battery and all I heard was a click, I assumed the pump was shot. Now that the new one did the same thing, I've determined that the fuel pump is not getting a signal to energize. Tracing the wiring is beyond my means and now I'm stuck. What I'm going to do is wire the pump directly to a power souce with a flip switch. When I'm ready to start the bike, I'll manually energize the pump and see if it runs as it should. If so, I should be able to tell the mechanic exactly what's wrong. I have a rudimentary wiring diagram and it indicates a shut off relay. I don't know what this is or where to find it. Anyway, be careful about assuming the pump is bad, ensure that you are getting a signal. I'll keep this thread active until I get a resolution.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey mon,

The fuel pump I grabbed at my local parts store had one wire labeled "ground only," so when I wired it in place, I made sure I connected it to the green wire that went to ground (checked for continuity to frame). And as the others here reported, it starts pumping fine as soon as I cranked the starter. That whirring makes me a little nervous, too, worrying the carbs are going to choke on too much gas!

I'm surprised there's a relay in this circuit - I thought they were mainly for things that drew a lot of power like the starter, not something wimpy like these pumps. But maybe the shut-off relay is to keep the carbs from drowning in fuel.

But though I'm in the fuel pumping zone, I'm still in the no-rev zone. I electrolyzed the rusty junk from the secondary tank, but am afraid some of it got into the system when I tried firing it up last time. So it's off with those carburetors once more.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Fired it up, same problem. When I first started working on this thing I jumped the fuel pump (connector beside the frame tube, in front of side cover right side) directly to the battery and all I heard was a click, I assumed the pump was shot. Now that the new one did the same thing, I've determined that the fuel pump is not getting a signal to energize.

Does the pump come on if you press the starter button?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts