Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay - here is the problem :
I own a '03 954, and an '87 Yamaha V-Max.
I ride about 85 miles roundtrip to work daily.
I am looking for something more comfortable, but definitly not a full blown tourer.
Untill today, I have been actually wanting, (deep breath) a Harley Street Glide. Now before everyone starts hating, cursing and trying to find where I live, listen for just a minute. I dont want a sport tourer, or a full blown tourer, and the Glide seems to have all of what I do want. Minimal bags, decent wind protection, killer radio, and a comfortable riding position.
But then I remembered the Valkyrie Interstate. Seems to be everything the Glide is, only more. It is a Honda. Has radio/communication capabilities. Plenty of wind protection. And the chance to run those awesome 6 into 6 pipes. Not to mention the price.
I would seriously like to hear from some Valkyrie owners out there about likes/dislikes. Also, can the Interstate run 6 into 6 pipes? Is the radio really that hard to operate? Does it really seem as big as it is?
I have done some research but would really like to hear from someone who rides one. Also, cant find one around here to sit on, see, feel...
Harley haters, please dont respond. It's just a bike.

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
Hmmm. I don't hate Harleys - after all they still qualify as being a Motorcycle.

I rented an Ultra Glide (with all the top boxes, radio blah blah) when I was in Florida in 2007. I must have done about three hundred miles on her but to be honest, I never found the buzz I enjoy about motorcycles when riding her.

Have you lookied into getting a VFR? I have a pre-vtec (supposed to be the best model released :D) 1998 version - the riding position is neutral, offers quite a bit of wind protection (can get more if you upgrade the screen) and best of all, is a Honda.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well let me chime in here:

I've been riding sport bikes since sport bikes existed. I currently ride an '08 CBR 1K. That is, when I'm not riding my FXDL Dyna Lowrider or my FLTRI Road Glide. There's NOTHING like riding the full-size touring bike for a comfortable commute. Nice relaxed riding position, wind protection, good mirrors, and tunes! I put 3,000 miles on the Road Glide in the last two weeks and never had a sore muscle. Two hours on the CBR leaves me begging for mercy. But I have the CBR for the "Entertainment." The tourer is for the "utility."

I know your question was specifically about the Valkyrie. Quite frankly, I think they're a much better bike than anything HD has ever built. Yes, I own a few Harleys, but I recognize their shortcomings and if I were buying on right-brain-power, I'd stick with a Honda every time.

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
I had a check on the Valkyrie but could find one with much wind protection - they are pretty much all naked?! :idunno:

I do agree, the CBR does give me a sore bum after a few hours riding (combo of seat/position/holding on for dear life) whilst the VFR is a gentle fast paced ride.

Take a trip down to your dealer and try some out (I think thats the best way to try them out)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses guys --
- I really want to get away from the sportbike aspect with this bike. I have my 954 and have ridden cbr's most of my riding life. I want this bike to be all about comfort, as it will most likely be my "workhorse".
The Interstate model comes the closest to want I want, and I have even come on what they call a "Supervalk" which the Interstate model, with the rear middle saddlebag taken off. Below is a link to a really cool looking one...

DSCF0041 pictures from friends & fun photos on webshots

If I could find one that looks like this, the Street Glide doesnt stand a chance!!

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I've been known to tease Harley Ferguson owners, but I don't consider myself a Harley Hater.

That monster Honda looks great! I have usually figured an ST1300 would be next for my old bones, but the Valkyrie would be considered. Except I don't think I could ever afford one.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have found them for sale anywhere from $8500 to $12000 -- biggest prob is finding one with less than 20000 miles...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts