Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 2004 cbr600f4i with 30k miles in trade for my 240sx track car. The prior owner(s?) to my knowledge are not mechanically inclined so I doubt it has been done. Anything I should worry about? If so does anyone know the average cost to have it done/checked? I am currently planning on dropping at least 800$ in parts to replace a broken muffler and wearing chain+sprockets+cam chain tensioner, so if I have to throw much more into it, it may be worth selling it for ~2k or so and spending the $$ from parts/labor on another bike with less miles.

·
Registered
180 Posts
If you had a track car I would think you could take that task on yourself. Just get a oem service manualand go for it, theres not too much diffrence in engine princpals in the top end

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was not by no means a fully built car. I had a motor built by a friend that was waiting to go in when I sold it. However, all I know is basic working principles, vacuum systems, fuel systems, exhaust and general maintenance etc..., nothing about the actually engine internals aside from how they work and what parts generally break over "X" amount of hp.

My main question, is that with this f4i, having 30k miles, should it be done? If so what would it cost if anyone knows.

·
Registered
283 Posts
For Sure it needs to be done. I was always told at 15, 30, 45 i think you get the picture. Over here theres a place that told me they can just do the valves for 400 and be finished in a day and a half. Or the valves, oil, and filter changed all for 500!

I think im pushing it a little bit cas im right at 20k so hope it dosent explode! :smilebig:

But with regular oil changes i should be ok for now:idunno:

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
For Sure it needs to be done. I was always told at 15, 30, 45 i think you get the picture. Over here theres a place that told me they can just do the valves for 400 and be finished in a day and a half. Or the valves, oil, and filter changed all for 500!

I think im pushing it a little bit cas im right at 20k so hope it dosent explode! :smilebig:

But with regular oil changes i should be ok for now:idunno:
It's 16,000 mile intervals. I've read from several people who are real gearheads, that the first 16,000 mile check usually reveals no need for adjustment, or very minimal. Unless the bike has been tracked. Don't worry, I doubt you're gonna blow up, especially if you've been doing the normal maintenence stuff. But I'd be doing it asap.

@ n0rth - do you have a svc manual? Read through the procedure; maybe you can save yourself some serious coin. Section 3-9.
Motorcycle Honda CBR600F4i Repair Manual Download

1 - 5 of 5 Posts