Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Im been posting stuff here like a crazy animal, but I need to know does my bike need a valve check at 14,600 miles? My 929 had a little problem a few months back but it magickly healed itself. The problem was with some fuel lines that had leaks in it. But I go that fixed. I really would like to ge it checked but I dont have the money either, so what is your guys suggestiongs?

Also what do you guys think of OGK helmets? are they good cause it looks like they arnt reconized like the other helmet companies out there.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I think opinions vary here. Some have had their's done at the 16,000 mile service interval while others have been told by their dealer unless there is a problem, don't worry about it. You may want to do a search, someone just recently had their's done (with some problems of popped off connectors)maybe pm him and see if there was a dramatic difference.
As far as OGK - can't help. Maybe others will chime in with their valve adjusting experience.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
the scheduled valve check is for 16K miles. do a search. some guys w/ mega-mile 929s had theirs checked at 32K miles with no adjustments necessary. YMMV

·
Registered
133 Posts
Well I just had mine done, and even though they royally pissed me off by those popped off connectors, the bike actually feels way better than before. Its like it feels 'tighter'. They told me that there were minor valve adjustments, they werent way off. But along with throttle and other crap thats done on this service, it feels alot better. It was not cheap, its really up to you. I also have extended warranty, so I have to keep on the service schedule and since I cant do it myself had dealer do it. Technically I had to do it. I think it was worth it. Other than the valve adjustment, you can do the other crap yourself. They told me oil change was included with service, then they tried to charge me for oil and filter, I said HELL no. Im hittin the track so I wanted my bike to be tuned up too. It was worth it to me. Others opinions may differ.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I do my own valve gap inspection / adjustments. They were in spec at 16k and 32k. At 42k one of the spark plugs came out along with the threads in the head, so I'm doing a full valve job.

I did a page on the inspection procedure here..

I don't think you need to worry until at least 16k. I haven't heard of anyone requiring an adjustment that soon, but that doesn't mean squat about your bike. I'd recomend you get them checked (or do it yourself) at 16k.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Something a lot of people dont consider when adjusting valves: if the clearance between bucket and cam is in the loose end of the range, the cam timing alters by a very minute amount...when the lobe comes around to open the valve, it has to cross the gap before it can start opening it, and then wont open it as far. If the clearances are in the tight end of the range, the valve actually opens earlier (good for exhaust scavenging) opens wider (better overall engine breathing) and closes later (better cylinder filling) its a very small difference, but its what makes your bike feel peppier after a valve adjustment.
Then again, if your valves are too tight they might not be closing completely, and youll lose compression. If this gets worse, you can even burn a valve (without ever making a sound until you notice you suddenly have a triple) and need some exspensive motor work. Again, adjustment brings the power back, and keeps your valves happy.
While valve adjustments are exspensive and time consuming, the fact that your bikes only need it ever 16k miles is amazing (try owning a ducati superbike) and even tho 9 times out of 10 the clearances will still be spot on, it never hurts to check them, which is much less time consuming than actually adjusting them.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Actually at 16K it's just valve clearance check. If they're in spec you just replace the valve cover and sleep easy knowing they're ok. If they're out of spec. Well, you opened it just in time to set it right.

·
Registered
20 Posts
CBRjack : Actually at 16K it's just valve clearance check. If they're in spec you just replace the valve cover and sleep easy knowing they're ok. If they're out of spec. Well, you opened it just in time to set it right.
ok, should have said 'lucky your bikes only call for a clearance check every 16k'
Sue me

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Dezmo : Something a lot of people dont consider when adjusting valves:  if the clearance between bucket and cam is in the loose end of the range, the cam timing alters by a very minute amount...when the lobe comes around to open the valve, it has to cross the gap before it can start opening it, and then wont open it as far.  If the clearances are in the tight end of the range, the valve actually opens earlier (good for exhaust scavenging) opens wider (better overall engine breathing) and closes later (better cylinder filling)  its a very small difference, but its what makes your bike feel peppier after a valve adjustment.
Then again, if your valves are too tight they might not be closing completely, and youll lose compression.  If this gets worse, you can even burn a valve (without ever making a sound until you notice you suddenly have a triple) and need some exspensive motor work.  Again, adjustment brings the power back, and keeps your valves happy.
While valve adjustments are exspensive and time consuming, the fact that your bikes only need it ever 16k miles is amazing (try owning a ducati superbike)  and even tho 9 times out of 10 the clearances will still be spot on, it never hurts to check them, which is much less time consuming than actually adjusting them.
Nice informative reply. I'm somewhat mechanically inclined but I'd probably have to send it to the dealer and take my chances. Again, great reply on why you may not want to skip the servicing.

·
Registered
576 Posts
One thing I'd recommend if you do have to pull the cam to adjust the valves - you should check the lobe heights of your cams. Some of my cam lobes were worn beyond the service limit at 42k.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts