Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's about time to get ready for the riding season.
My buddy who was an yamaha technician went for a ride at the end of last year and said that he thinks my valve clearances are out.

Since I bought it used and it's now at 50000km, I figure I should definitely open her up to see what it needs.

I'm a car mechanic btw.

I also hear that the cam chain tensioners like to fail on these bikes..... I have definitely felt more vibration and noise over the past year and a half I've owned it.

First, How do I check the condition of my tensioner.
Second, if I decide to replace it, should I go with another Honda tensioner or a manual one? Pros/cons?
Third, if I have to replace the valve shims, I'd have to remove the cams.... So do I just time the engine, remove the tensioner, loosen the cams, replace shims as nessisary, torque up the cams, and reinstall tensioner?

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
download a copy of the service manual. its got detailed info on checking and doing your valve clearances.

the advantages of the manual cct is it can be adjusted to keep it in the sweet spot. the automatic oem is spring loaded and just gets loose after a while n the chains whipping action causes it to spring back more where a manual cct is locked in keeping the tension more even.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Can someone pls help me checking the dimensions for the CCT? i would really appreciate his/her help. I have the below CCT and this is how it measures, if the 954 CCT measures the same i will open up my 954 else will order and wait for 45 days till it comes from USA to India

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts