Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to pick up an assortment of valve shims for the 929. I'm sure they are in many of their bikes, not sure what, but if you know please fill me in and provide qty. and price.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
I'd like to pick up an assortment of valve shims for the 929. I'm sure they are in many of their bikes, not sure what, but if you know please fill me in and provide qty. and price.

Nothing wrong with having some spares but I think you're wasting your time.
There are 64 different sizes of shim specified for the 929/954.
Much cheaper idea is to measure the clearances, see what shims you already have, swap around any you can, and then go buy the few that you need.

If you do want to collect them they're just 7.48mm shims as used in many, many different bikes - all the various CBR's back to the F2, GSXR's back to the first water-cooled 750 of '92, R1/R6 and the FZ-series back to the eighties I think, and most of the ZX-series Kwaks are a few examples.

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
Agree with BR.
That's just how it works, you end up swapping shims around and usually only need to buy a couple. I have 6 spares of various sizes, 3 from my last shim adjustment, and 3 that a member gave me.
When you do your clearance check, if you need shims, post up what size you're looking for and I'll give you [free] what I may have. They're fairly expensive as I recall, maybe $10 -15 each...?

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Yea, it will be awhile as it was just done but I'd still like to purchase a handful or so of various sizes. It seems like I've accumulated a bunch of one size this last time round. I was hoping to find someone that was cleaning up or maybe not needing them any longer.
Bob

·
Registered
328 Posts
For 60-70 dollars you can buy a hot cams shim kit. Comes with a bunch of different sizes in a nicely organized box.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts