Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does every Honda have a valve tap or is just mine? I have around 8500 mi on the bike and I've read that valve adj. is needed at 16000. Lil premature I would think and that happens way too much at the house for it to happen on the road too. LMAO. I'll start the bike and everything is good untill I hit operating temp ( 180 deg. ), than I get a little valve tap it sounds like. Should I bite the bullet and get the valves adjusted or ride it out till 16000.?:idunno:

·
Registered
44 Posts
What kind of oil are you using? How hard to you ride the bike? Does that tapping noise happen at all RPM ranges or is it specific RPM?

·
Registered
685 Posts
you should hear my girlfriends nieces 07 ZX6....brand new with less than 100 miles,and the valves are louder than my 01 929 with almost 37k on it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I havent changed the oil yet but for sure will use 20w50 syn. It usually starts around 3 to 4 grand. I can hear it at idle but not as bad when I'm running. And I'm not that hard on it, I think I saw the rev light once. But usually shift around 9 to 10.

·
Registered
685 Posts
i'm going to throw the Amsoil 20/50 synth in my bike this weekend,hopefully to cushion gears a bit more, hopefully this won't effect valve function

·
Registered
902 Posts
That's some thick oil. Lighter oil might start to flow through the narrow passages and help cool moving things. This is a motorcycle, not a diesel truck.

Mine ticked from 20-40K and has since been quiet. Hondas take a lot of miles to break in.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had my parts guy at work look into it today and he said the Honda dealer actually does NOT recomend using full syn. oil. So I found someone that will serv. the bike for me using Motul for $65. So I'll jump on that cuz it saves me the work.

·
Registered
685 Posts
That's some thick oil. Lighter oil might start to flow through the narrow passages and help cool moving things. This is a motorcycle, not a diesel truck.

Mine ticked from 20-40K and has since been quiet. Hondas take a lot of miles to break in.
the Honda manual states 20/50 is fine at certain temps.It's already damn near 90 degrees here in FL, so the 20/50 will be fine - now running it in the winter when it's 40 degrees out at night :nono:

·
Banned
1,715 Posts
I use 10W-40 synthetic. I'm thinking 5w-30 would probably be ok, but consult your owners manual. The guys are right about 20w-50... too viscous. The oil passages are tiny in some places of the engine, so there needs to be an oil "light" enough to flow a decent volume through them.

I think the reason we all hear so much valve component noise is the cam "directly" lifts the valve ( yeah there's two solid metal pieces between the cam and the actuall valve). When the engine is cold those metal parts have more of a gap inbetween them.. when things heat up the gap lessens and the engine quiets down some.

I've found it difficult to diagnose all engine noises on my CBR... although i believe most of them are just normal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts