Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Ive started to notice my valves ticking around 3000 RPM. Stops anywhere above 3000 or below. I know the recommended service is to check them at 16000 Miles, my bike has over 21000 now and I highly doubt they were checked by the previous owner. I bought the bike with 18000 miles. Is it normal for these bikes to tick a bit? Ive heard that the engine casings are thin and I was wondering if others have this "tick"?

·
Registered
845 Posts
Got a slight tick here around 3000rpm, had it checked out and all was good, I just ignore it. I'm going to try a few different oils to see if it changes it, I've seen using a different oil help.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Got a slight tick here around 3000rpm, had it checked out and all was good, I just ignore it. I'm going to try a few different oils to see if it changes it, I've seen using a different oil help.
yea i just changed over to the castrol 4T 10w-40. it seemed to help some. that stuff is all i used for the last few years, always worked great for me.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Oil just tends to very by brand, my buddy had changed his oil to pennzoil in his car and got a leaky valve cover gasket. Changed back castrol no leak, by the way I worked in a machine shop for 5 years while going to school and pennzoil is shite don't use it.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I'm thinking about adding the new Lucas import grade additive it says it's safe for wet clutches at 10%. And I use it in everything else, and it does reduce engine noise.

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
I'm thinking about adding the new Lucas import grade additive it says it's safe for wet clutches at 10%. And I use it in everything else, and it does reduce engine noise.
I take it Slick 50 would have a negative affect on a wet clutch?

·
Registered
552 Posts
i would not recomend any additive in the oil could cause negitive effects on the clutch. i have been usuing spectrol golden synthetic blend for years and had no problems, 30,000 miles of the 40,000 i have on my 945 are with that oil usuing 10w40 grade which is what the book calls for.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I take it Slick 50 would have a negative affect on a wet clutch?
Most additives will (plus most are just plain shite), the Lucas synthetic oil is the only one I've seen that states it's safe for wet clutches at 10%. I'm going to give it a shot next time, if it slips I'll know right away and post it up here.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts