Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to learn advance riding skills. What courses or who would you recommend to take a course from. I am not interested in racing ...just want to drive my CBR 1000rr well and safely in emergency situations. Van:huh:

·
Registered
737 Posts
MSF offers an advanced riders course thats pretty good.

That being said I'd still recommend a good on track racing school. What you learn there will help you sooo much on the street even if you never touch the track again. Well worth the investment!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
johnnyspeed, good advice. I will take the course and then check into racing schools. I think you are right about racing schools and learning to ride a bike correctly. I might need all of those skills someday when someone talking on a cell pulls in front of me at speed. Any schools that you would recommend? Also any particular brand of leathers that you would recommend...i am pretty new to this sport bike world but i sure love my CBR 1000rr 09 just handles and runs like a dream. I came off of a very large cruising bike and i feel much safer on my CBR. Van

·
Registered
737 Posts
johnnyspeed, good advice. I will take the course and then check into racing schools. I think you are right about racing schools and learning to ride a bike correctly. I might need all of those skills someday when someone talking on a cell pulls in front of me at speed. Any schools that you would recommend? Also any particular brand of leathers that you would recommend...i am pretty new to this sport bike world but i sure love my CBR 1000rr 09 just handles and runs like a dream. I came off of a very large cruising bike and i feel much safer on my CBR. Van
These are just my personal views so take them as such .......

1) I don't know what you have in your area but I know for me I have several racing schools available. For me I picked corner speed but I don't think that exact school is offered for you. What you are looking for is ANY racing school that will license you to race at the end as an amature. These schools are NORMALY 2 days and involve just as much classroom time as actual seat time. They teach you things like actual corner speed, how to properly gauge your line, no brake drills ect ect ect.

2) Leathers : I prefer Alpinestars or Joe Rocket but there are MANY other different brands that are just as good. It depends on your budget and personal taste. My only advice here is that more is always better and it doesn't matter if it's street or track.

3) You came off a cruiser and feel like the CBR 1000RR is safer. PLEASE understand this can be VERY VERY deceptive. Learn the bike ... understand the bike .... respect the bike. It can and will do things you've never encountered if this is your 1st sportbike. You will NEVER out ride what any bike can do so always expect to learn more. When in doubt go back to the basics. I was told something a long long time ago and it still rings in my head to this day ..... "If you can't do it slow then you can't do it fast!" Why increase your risk for nothing?

Hope this helps and let me know if you need anything else. There are a lot of experienced riders on this site so any advice and knowledge you can get from me or them is something to think about and apply where it fits.

Good luck and ride safe!!! :patriot:

Reactions: bladeracer

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JS
I really appreciate your experienced advice. Especially about the deception of feeling safer on my CBR. I would rather be alive than over ride my skills so the reminder is always good. It's important for me to realize that this bike is capable of doing things that i have "never encountered" so i am pretty cautious. It gets my attention by how hard it pulls and how fast the engine brakes down just releasing the throttle. Driving it smoothly is what i am working on.

I agree that the two day racing school will be one of the best things that i can do for my years of safe driving.

Right now as far as a jacket goes..i have a First Gear Kilimanjaro Day Glo (maybe it will help some to see me). I will be looking for trousers that have protection and i have leather gloves and a well made full face helmet...finding boots in size 15 is an ordeal..think that i have found some for next riding season.

I put the e seat on for comfort and a rear seat cowl...not planning on passengers. Down the road i may need to get leathers for a racing school unless i can rent them out. I cannot wait to learn some more skills..the fireblade is such a great bike it will be fun to learn how to use it. Van

1 - 5 of 5 Posts