Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering what people have to say about comfort for these jackets in hot weather. Please do not go into strength or other safety concerns. I think the majority opinion was made quite clear already.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Depends on the jacket, some are better vented than others! If you get a well vented one, or one of those air flow type jackets, it should be more comfortable than leathers in hot weather.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My alpinestars one is leather with the hump thing on the back but you get really hot when you are stationary. Once your moving you cool down again.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
i have a perforated leather teknic that i love.. a little warm when sitting but when you're moving it's great, also comes with a zip in liner for cooler weather. it's also for sale if anyone is interested..

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I think it will always be a bit of a tradeoff between safety and comfort.

But thats not a bad thing.
At some point you might be safer by being more comfortable.

If you are city riding and not going above freeway speed then a textile jacket is probably good enough. If its warmer or cooler (they can be both) than leather and you are happy with them for protection - then dont let others stop you.

If you do track days or a lot of back road scratching then Id suggest safety is more of a priority. But heck - get both (or get one and save and plan to get the other later)

·
Registered
246 Posts
My leather is a bit hot in the middle of the summer but any other time it's great. It's a Joe Rocket and it does vent pretty well. For me, it has to be leather!:thumb:

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
My thick back jacket with absolutely no vents wasnt to bad. It was brutal sitting in traffic when its around 104*F outside.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
My thick back jacket with absolutely no vents wasnt to bad. It was brutal sitting in traffic when its around 104*F outside.
104 that far north? Never would have guessed

for the original topic, I have a textile now but am planning on getting a vented leather. My buddy that got me into riding has a vented leather jacket that has lasted him through totalling 4 bikes. I feel like mine wouldn't hold up nearly so well. Sucks being tall and thin though as it cuts down my selection by a lot

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have the white (white is best, doesn't absorb as much heat) Alpinestars Tech 1-R jacket. I also live in Florida, and it gets really hot. Just like everyone else said it feels okay when you're moving, but at lights its killer. I personally dislike textile, i feel like they look more generic than leather, and no matter what type of jacket you have on you're gonna be warm at lights. Just my 2 cents though.

·
Registered
151 Posts
S&S cool mesh ...awesome on hot days summer here 90's + high humidity, breaths very well an also has liner for cool days, has armor and looks good too!

·
Registered
824 Posts
of course a textile jacket is going to be cooler?!?!?!?! Of course its also not going to offer the protection of leather...but its still better than being miserable in the hott or not wearing a jacket at all...I have one textile jacket and it works great and I can wear it on a 100 degree day and be comfortable ( well as comfortable as humanly possible when its 100 :)) I also have a vented leather that isnt too bad...but anything over 80 degrees and it is just too uncomfortable...With that said...I also have some leather racing pants that are perforated and once moving (like someone else said) they offer great airflow and im sure good protection also...but as far as a jacket that is going to be comfortable in 90 degree weather...IMO...textile is the way to go...just drive a little more carefull and avoid hitting the tarmac :)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Honestly in 90+ i just wear my icon field armor vest. I've gone down in it at 60mph, not one broken bone. tested, and approved. :)

·
Registered
824 Posts
Honestly in 90+ i just wear my icon field armor vest. I've gone down in it at 60mph, not one broken bone. tested, and approved. :)

well the vest is better than nothing!!! and so is a textile jacket...I am a fan of leather myself and i do have a couple back protectors and vests also but i find that i can get through most of my riding whether its cold or hot with 3 of my jackets...2 leather and one textile....i just ordered another joe rocket that is supposed to have good venting so I will be testing that out on the first hot day we have...if it ever gets hot!!!!!! I miss living in daytona beach...you can ride 12 months out of the year if you wanted....and well theres always BIKE WEEK and biketoberfest...which is the best....incase anyone has never been...GO!!!! and bring beaded necklaces with you...they are like currency for women if you get my drift :eyebrows: anyway....off on a tangent there...back to the jackets :)

i actually have 5 jackets but two of them i never use...their the ones i lend out to people :) its not my skin ha ha

·
Registered
142 Posts
yeah just dont stick your arm out if you go down in a vest rofl.

yes! bike week! beautiful women and bikes everywhere! :) yeah i'm able to ride 12 months a year, it's amazing hehe.

·
Registered
824 Posts
yeah just dont stick your arm out if you go down in a vest rofl.

yes! bike week! beautiful women and bikes everywhere! :) yeah i'm able to ride 12 months a year, it's amazing hehe.

tampa is nice too though cuz you have a nice big city right there...i forgot the name of the street bit it was a huge strip of clubs...ebor? egor? something like that...i actually lived in siesta key for a couple months too and worked for longboat key club when i was a nice young lad..lol...but the beaches on the west are much better...well at least until the oil spill!!!!! how is it now?!?! poor fishes...It seemed like florida women were easier than NY women too...LOL...sorry...sorry...didnt mean that...

·
Registered
142 Posts
you're thinking of ybor (pronounced ebor though hehe) florida women have to be some of the easiest women in the country :) and the oil spill didn't really effect the west coast beaches, primarily the pan handle. I live on St. Petersburg Beach, and the beach has had no issues regarding the spill :) the sun sets on our beaches +1 for west coast!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts