Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may seem like an odd post. Has anyone on here been riding on some real twisty roads and felt as if they didn't know which way was up? I ask because some friends and I were on a real hilly and twisting road a few months back. After going thru a series of alternating S curves I noticed that what I sensed as up and down did not match what I saw was up and down for a brief while. It seemed almost like I was weightless. Similar to the feeling you have after spining rapidly in a circle then you stop and know your not spinning but you feel as if you are. I think it was from the motion of leaning the bike from left to right multiple times at a fast pace. It just concerned me that if my focus was off slightly I most likely would have wrecked. Has anyone else had a similar experience to this?

·
Premium Member
4,171 Posts
This may seem like an odd post. Has anyone on here been riding on some real twisty roads and felt as if they didn't know which way was up? I ask because some friends and I were on a real hilly and twisting road a few months back. After going thru a series of alternating S curves I noticed that what I sensed as up and down did not match what I saw was up and down for a brief while. It seemed almost like I was weightless. Similar to the feeling you have after spining rapidly in a circle then you stop and know your not spinning but you feel as if you are. I think it was from the motion of leaning the bike from left to right multiple times at a fast pace. It just concerned me that if my focus was off slightly I most likely would have wrecked. Has anyone else had a similar experience to this?
I cant say; I have ever experienced vertigo as a result from rapid turns, and continuous leanings left and right. Maybe you should have a check up. Your equalibrium was apparrently effected. Thats a possible warnning sign to some condition medically. Under normal, healthy circumstances, vertigo is not a common effect, experienced when ridding a motorcycle through a rapid succession of turns left, and right, includding decreasing radious turns.
Get yourself checked out. I dont believe it was the turns.:cool:

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I'm no expert on this by any means, but think about a rollercoaster ride - it whips you around multiple bends and loops etc, and you get off of it feeling dizzy and disorientated. I wonder if attacking a set of ,fast, tight, twisty bends could have a similar, but mild effect??

·
Registered
900 Posts
only if you shut your eyes when doing so......defo have a check up, you aint right in the head, as they say round here !!!!

·
Premium Member
4,171 Posts
As this may be a truth to experience; for the most part allot of turns and leans with speed creat a resulting effect of; I want to do it again foaming at the mouth; because I like it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
What was the ambient temp like? If it was hot outside, and you were continuosly excerting yourself, could have been the onset of heat stroke maybe? It has happened to me on very hot days here in Louisiana where i get light headed and recognize the need to stop, relax, rehydrate.

I read a couple years ago in Motorcyclist Magazine that UV rays do indeed penetrate helmets.

Also, did you drink alot the night before? Dehydration can also make you feel like that.

Hope it helps,
Danny

·
Registered
180 Posts
very true, heat stroke a possibility, have your self checked by the doc.

The reason I mention ears, is I am 30% buggered in my left ear, I had it before where I had water in the ear drum, didn't notice it , only on the bike.

Problem is it hits you so quick you don't know which direction your in.

H

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I went to the doc she looked in my ears and had me do a lot of balance type stuff like stand on one foot with eyes closed. Didn't find any issues. She said it was probably a minor ear infection since it was just that one time. she said to come in asap if it happens again but right now all is well. The heat / dehydration could be a big factor that i didn't think of it was late in the summer and we started early in the AM. that morning was cold so I was wearing my fall riding jacket. It warmed up but i had no where to put the outter shell so i kept it on. i was sweating a lot and we only stopped a few times to hydrate prior to that. That really seems like the reason now. I will have to make sure i make water as much a priorty as fuel if not more. My friends and I tend to stop only for fuel and roll on as soon as the gas caps close. Now I see how that can be a real dangerous practice.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I'm no expert on this by any means, but think about a rollercoaster ride - it whips you around multiple bends and loops etc, and you get off of it feeling dizzy and disorientated. I wonder if attacking a set of ,fast, tight, twisty bends could have a similar, but mild effect??

thats exactly what i get.

if i'm hitting the twisties hard i start getting into a dizzy surreal type state. kinda freaky considering what i'm doing.

at a track day, i couldn't go past 3-4 laps before having to get off the track.

i have to check it out as well, but it's one of those things that are hard to explain, and i've already had a ct scan as part of a check up after i've had those symptoms.

i know that if i hit a rollercoaster 2-3 times in a row ( get off, then jump right back on with no line up ), then i'd be dizzy to the point of puking.

for me this must be since i was young, because i remember getting nauscious when going on car rides, and that i'd have to look straight ahead or else.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Thought it might be ears, i have a suggestion, you get 2 different types of ear plugs, one is a rubber spongy type, the other is a mouldable wax, the latter is better, ride with these, it firstly reduces the wind into and onto the ear drum, also it equalizes and slightly pressurizes the ears.

It helps me.

H

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thought it might be ears, i have a suggestion, you get 2 different types of ear plugs, one is a rubber spongy type, the other is a mouldable wax, the latter is better, ride with these, it firstly reduces the wind into and onto the ear drum, also it equalizes and slightly pressurizes the ears.

It helps me.

H
Thanks I will have to give it a try.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts