Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if anyone is interested in modifying their 92-96 blade the vfr800 single sided arm fits. its the easyest mod you could do? the shock is the same the arm ligns up on the sprocket side by using the blade spacers and sleevs that fit the same bearings. the oposite side has two bearings side by side, if you take one of them out and grind down the casting 5mm it slots straight in. the adjuster on the blade frame takes up the slack, the one bearing is man enough to cope with extreme riding too, iv done 10k on mine and its still fine, the wheel geometry is the same as the original so handling isnt effected, the rear caliper needs a short braided line to loop the extra fitting for duel breaking on the vfr. chain length is the same too,it couldnt be easyer?:)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Man this is going to open up the single sided swingarm world for a lot of people. Many think, as do I, that the only swingarm you could use is the 94-97 vfr swingarm. I also heard it requires extensive mods to make the 800 arm fit, but it doesn't sound too bad. Thanks for the info. Do you have any pictures of your bike with it on?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the arm i used was from a 2000 model,there is a pic in the gallery section, its the urban tiger with the orange r1 tail unit and underseat pipe, im new to the site, and still finding my way round at mo, ill figure out how to link pics soon i think?

·
Registered
791 Posts
All bikes since, umm ages, have had two ball bearings on that side of the swingarm. I don't claim to know why they do that, but I reckon it's a bad idea to run this conversion with just one bearing.

If you want my guess, it's because ball bearings are very good at resisting rotating loads, but not so great at resisting impact loads - that's why steering head bearings fail over time. The loading where we're talking about on the swingarm isn't really suited to ball bearings, but they are used (at least partly) to locate and centre the swingarm. One is not up to the job, and can you imagine if it failed?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
iv done 10 k on one bearing, done the ilse of man 3 times,drag strip, and most of my riding round home is twisty stuff on the edge. bike is regularly serviced and bearing has been up to the job so far, but you could have the casting machined to take the extra bearing, there is plenty of meat there. if you dont mind the expense, and for confidence?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi there,
I have a 98RRW and via other threads have been told that the only arm that will fit is a 94-97 VFR arm. Found this thread by accident and would be grateful of any help. I can get any machine work done and have a 2000 800 arm plus wheeel set up if i want it but i need to be quick.

Appreciate any help/guidance anyone can offer.

Cheers

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi
yeah let me know anything you need to know?
If yr confident with hand tools? i used a hack saw, very carefully take off 4 mm from the opposite side form the sprocket. then file down the rest to give 5 mm in total. making sure its flat and true. the actual surface of the outside isnt an issue, you just need enough clearance for the frame. the adjuster nips up on the bearing surface.
someone asked about the spacer in the middle of the arm before, i have a steel tube that fits snug to the bolt, and between the end spacers, im prety sure it came with the vfr arm, but its a long time ago. best of luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi
yeah let me know anything you need to know?
If yr confident with hand tools? i used a hack saw, very carefully take off 4 mm from the opposite side form the sprocket. then file down the rest to give 5 mm in total. making sure its flat and true. the actual surface of the outside isnt an issue, you just need enough clearance for the frame. the adjuster nips up on the bearing surface.
someone asked about the spacer in the middle of the arm before, i have a steel tube that fits snug to the bolt, and between the end spacers, im prety sure it came with the vfr arm, but its a long time ago. best of luck.
Woh ...This ones over 10yrs old haha.... Been on a Aussie streetfighters forum looking at the vfr800 sssa. They explain it on there that some metal has to be taken off the arm on one side and the frame . Is this a different model swing arm that lines up easier ?. The master & the apprentice! SSSA into CBR900

I'd like to know please as I might do this to my 98 sc33

1 - 11 of 11 Posts