Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you buy a replacement motorcycle frame from the manufacturer (directly or indirectly, like from a licensed distributor), does it come with a VIN number stamped on it?

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I would say YES!  it has to...

I would call Hondog to make sure before you press the go button...

you would have to retitle it as far as I know, I don't think you get your numbers again.

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
Damnit Pete, quit with the VIN number crap. The N is for number, cockhole.

Where'd you go to school, anyway. Louisiana?

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Other commonly used redundancies in Pete's vernacular:

- coffee milk
- toast bread
- hose pipe

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Baketech : Quote (BDA116 @ Oct. 09 2003, 10:10am)Where'd you go to school, anyway. Louisiana?
Coonass Polytechnic?
Hell no. my grads was'nt hire enuff for dat skool.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Pete : Other commonly used redundancies in Pete's vernacular:

- coffee milk
- toast bread
- hose pipe
My favorite around these parts....

hamburger meat

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
According to Ron Ayers, replacement frames do not come with a VIN (number) stamped on them. It is up to the buyer to coordinate registration, licensing, and VIN (number) application with their local DMV.

·
Registered
929 Posts
spillover : You just take the sticker off your old frame...
...unless it has been 'totaled' as 'destroyable'. Only transfer the VIN (decal not required) to the new frame (new frames are blank) if the transfered VIN is from a Clean, Rebuilt, or Salavage frame. You will have to get the bike inspected if it is transfered from a Salvage frame - check the laws applicable to your State for DMV requirements (some States are stricter than others). Retitling for my bikes (GA) costs $110 each.

PM or email me if you need any more info or help Pete.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
ND4SPDSHO : So where do you come up with a separate VIN number then?  Would it go into the DMV/Ins/etc database like the factory does?  Seems like an awful lot to go through
It probaly varies by state, but here in cali, if you have a numberless frame (typicaly custom Harleys, but could be any bike) You have to take it to the CHP, have them inspect it, and then they will issue you a VIN, and rivit a metal VIN tab with the numbers on it to the frame somewhere. Needless its pretty scary to watch some clueless cop weilding a cordless drill around you $50,000 bike Its a fugly blue aluminum VIN tag, hence the reason alot of customs around here are redgisterd in Nevada or Arizona Once you have this VIN tag, and the CHP has signed off on the bike, you redgister with the DMV like normal.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts