Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here ever ridden in or driven an S60 R? I saw one in the lot today on lunch break and found myself drawn to it. It is black with black wheels and really dark tinted windows, my god it is sexy. How do these cars perform for a sporty sedan?

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
If you search, you'll find where I stated that I am staying away from the Volvo dealer for that specific reason.
I have driven one multiple times, and they are an awesome car. They are larger than an Evo or STi, but only feel it when braking or cornering hard. They are very strong all the way through the revs, and are quite luxurious. Plus, you don't have to put up with the ricer stigma or insurance of the other two.
Like I said, I am avoiding the dealer. At the time the only thing that turned me off was no black leather in the dark silver one. I could get a dark tan, but no black.

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
MrX954 said:
I saw one on the road the other day.....cant say I was impressed by the color of it but a black/black one :drool:
yeah I like the black too but for an extra $470 over the standard red I'll take the red and save the bucks (the red does look nice anyway)

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Got a ride in one before I left Germany. That ride made me take one for a test drive. The car is absolutely amazing. Don't know what the "official" numbers are but take offs from full stop will push you far enough into the seat to feel the pocket on the back of it. It will keep up with BMW M3s on the autobahn :) On the back twisty roads, it corners well but you'll definitely feel the weight of the car (Volvos and Audis have always been notoriously heavy with safety equipment) but, for me, that's exactly what I want.

Why didn't I buy one? Everyone in the Army in Europe has either an S60R or an XC90. The parking lot on post looked like a Volvo dealership. And I still can't bear to part with my Jeep TJ. Too much blood, sweat and tears involved in the buildup.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Did'nt mean to hurt your feelings phobiaphobe-We have a Volvo dealership too, its tied in with ours-my opinions are based on experience particularly with service, and reliabilty issues. I guess its different when you are on this side of the business.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I have a S60 D5, the turbo-diesel front-wheel drive model. Quite different in many ways to the turbo petrol, so not many comments transfer across.

Cabin is excelleint, better than BMW's and Mercedes equivalents in my mind. It's an excellent long-distance motorway car, way better than rear-wheel drive equivalents for this: I find crosswind stability distinguishes a good long distance cruiser, and the Volvo has it. I like the styling, but that's the usual IMHO thing. I also like the 5-cylinder engines and their sound.

Negatives? It's a capable cornering car in terms of speed / roadholding, but it never gives the feedback you need to really enjoy a sporty car like the Subaru or Mitsubishi. The ride on mine is OK, but not a strength, but the S60 with sports suspension like the T5 is rough, on a par with an older Audi. So suspension overall is not a strength.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts