Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

Vote:How Do You Respond to Wheelie Request? - No flaming, anonymous truthfull replies

• Act like you don't see them (look the other way)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shake your head, and ride on (after all, it's illegal and stupid)

• Shake your head, (almost embarrassed), and ride on

• Give them a short distance wheelie

• Let the squid act rip, ride her until she drops

• I wheelie at my own will, and not under someone's request

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious and for some fun, you know the question.  You've been requested to perform a stunt by young kids with their thumbs hoisting up the universal wheelie request, or looking at you from the back of their car window, or by other bikers, maybe some cute girls driving next to you, or your friends, etc.  Doesn't really matter who, just, do you oblige them?

This is not meant as a squidish soon to be locked thread (hopefully), just curious how you guys handle this.  Some of you need not elaborate in fear of flaming, cause I know quite a few of you can probably wheelie at will. Please remember this forum/poll does not condone illegal behavior .

Please no flaming and be honest. These wheelie request happen to just about EVERY (street) rider on this forum.  How do you handle it?

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Skully : I'll just do a burnout because it's safer.  
So your riding behind someone, get the request, and do a burnout (leaning forward and lighting/smoking up the rear)? You squid you!

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Excellent responses so far, Thanks. Should be interesting with some big numbers! I voted 3rd choice, sorry, sometimes I wish I could launch it...but can't. Too many damn videos gone wrong, and too many payments to go yet.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Well it varies on encounter between the following.

1. Don't look at them, focus on the road, all the while seeing them give you the 'raise it up' signal out of the corner of your eye

2. Shake finger in a Dikembe Mutombo like fashion.

3. Shake head, and go about my business.

4. Point right back at the same said vehicle gesturing and motion to them to raise it up. You do it then I'll do it genius.

5. Point at them and start laughing.

6. Flip the visor open, look at them, and walk away from them.

7. My favorite and the most common answer given, the finger. Works great and the results are awesome! And suprisingly, they usually just laugh when I do it.

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
booth23 : My favorite and the most common answer given, the finger.  Works great and the results are awesome!  And suprisingly, they usually just laugh when I do it.
That's just the sort of embassadorship for the sport we need Booth. Keep it up.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Chain : Quote (booth23 @ June 04 2003, 2:38pm)My favorite and the most common answer given, the finger.  Works great and the results are awesome!  And suprisingly, they usually just laugh when I do it.
That's just the sort of embassadorship for the sport we need Booth.  Keep it up.
About as smart as them giving me a request to break the law, endanger my life as well as there own on a public road.

Edit: If you were being serious Chain, I understand your viewpoint but I have long lost respect for them when they lump us all into a category and repeatedly try to end my life on the road everyday I ride.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Our here in the sticks (and land of single-wides) bikes are not seen that much so when they are the local toothless always seem to want to see some wheelie action. No thanks.. I prefer not to break things (including myself or others).

If I loft it, it's purly on accident...

I just shake my head 'No' and go about my business. Sometimes they just want to hear it.. that I don't mind doing..

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
Holeshot : Our here in the sticks (and land of single-wides) bikes are not seen that much so when they are the local toothless always seem to want to see some wheelie action.  
'local toothless'

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yup brought it up for some kids. Ended up in totaling the bike. Would i do it agian of course...it all just depends on if its safe or not where you are etc. I mean if your not a wheeling person in the first place then it doesnt matter. But if your the kid that goes out and practices by themselves and for themself and find something fullfiling about it thens there no prob. Rememebr theres a diff between a highway with alot of cars around, and possibly empty road and some waht 'safe'. O well i learned my lesson, make sure you have enough distance between you and the car infront of you.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I usually just shake my head and ride off. Before I had an FI bike my favorite thing to do when I got the request, was ride up beside them and hit the kill switch for a sec. Then BOOM, I scared the hell out of more kids that way.

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
booth23 : If you were being serious Chain, I understand your viewpoint but I have long lost respect for them when they lump us all into a category and repeatedly try to end my life on the road everyday I ride.
I was only being a wise-elbow, but with a hint of seriousness. Good point you made though.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
For the most part, if it's just kids, they don't know it's dangerous and against the law.  To them, it's just a big shiny toy that makes loud noise and gives them wood.

Soo... on my old F4, I'd rev it up and peel out - that was enough to excite the kids, loud noise and seeing a bike speed off. Now, my 929 won't rev high enough while I'm still within site so I just look at them and give them the thumbs up back.  Usually the kids grin.  If they are young, I might rev the engine in a mock race with their mom's mini-van.     I love the looks on their faces while I 'race' their mom's van in full tuck... hehe...

I'm another that tries to keep the front planted on the ground at all times.  Hey, it's my baby and I don't want to be another video.

J.

·
Registered
507 Posts
#3.

The odd part is, the ones that give me the 'raise it up' gestures do it when traffic is moving about 30mph and congested?!

·
Registered
548 Posts
I usually just ignore it when kids want me to wheelie. You know if your going to show off for a crowd sooner or later you will have a crowd laughing at you for tossing it away.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts