Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
tried the HID on my 929. It was bright as hell and blue, but the light is not focused, it is useless. the stock bulb had better performance. the only way to get them to really work is to fabricate a head lamp that incorporates a projector hid assembly.
just my 2 cents

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
There are generally two types of HID bulbs, each made for its own housing, that is, either reflector (most headlights), or projector. If you mismatch the bulbs, the results will be less than impressive.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've done lots of HID setups on cars and bikes. Plan to do one later this week on the 929 - after I start riding it. Waiting on the tag now - long wait ......

It helps to use a projector HID unit whenever possible.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have HID on both mine and I love 'em, nobody else does tho...
my kit fit perfect and the light is right where its supposed to be.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
OK, so who had had HID's fitted of late? And how are they? Thinking of getting a set (one for my main light, and one for my girls CBR600 F4i headlight).
Checked these out on Ebay, but not sure if they would actually fit the 954 bulb socket without mods. Anyone know of a kit that just plugs and plays, and is a hi quality kit? 2OH mentioned reflective & Projective, but no one actually seems to point out which one their kit is when you look at their web sites....

Z...

·
Registered
476 Posts
I've installed that kit on a few cars. I cut off the cheap white molex plugs that come with the kit and hard wire them now after having trouble with one of hte first I installed. The kit comes with new fuses to upgrade the stock fuses on a car since the current draw is almost double. Between mounting the ballasts, electrical draw and adding wiring, I use PIAA bulbs now and I find it easier to just hit the highbeam switch when more light is needed. Either HID or Highbeams are going to piss off oncoming traffic anyway.

Bill

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
BillAce : I've installed that kit on a few cars.  I cut off the cheap white molex plugs that come with the kit and hard wire them now after having trouble with one of hte first I installed.  The kit comes with new fuses to upgrade the stock fuses on a car since the current draw is almost double.  Between mounting the ballasts, electrical draw and adding wiring, I use PIAA bulbs now and I find it easier to just hit the highbeam switch when more light is needed.  Either HID or Highbeams are going to piss off oncoming traffic anyway.

Bill
current draw is double? I wa sunder the impression HID's drew less current (they say a 35w HID is as bright as a 100w halogen) and using the good old V=IR, I figured current would drop...

So, does that mean the wires all need to be upgraded? Or does that kit include the upgraded wires as part of the kit already?

I assume they work OK?

thanks,

Z...

PS - I could get it done by a pro here, but the kits are so damn expensive here that I can buy 2 kits fomr th eUS for the same money, I just want to make sure I get the right one first time
thanks for the info guys

·
Registered
929 Posts
Z- Current = Amperage, not Voltage.

Yes, you are correct in your assumption that, in reality, the System being modified should also have the wiring upgraded (since a higher amperage draw is taking place, requiring higher amperage fuses). Using the original wiring allows a higher resistance to occur = wires get warmer/hotter. If the amperage draw is significantly higher, the insulation could potentially melt, creating a 'short' = failed system, fire, etc.

Recommendation: ensure the current draw is within the realm of what the System can handle (wire gauge size, fuse size, short enough 'ground'.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Understand googleplexu - but it's the fact that the electrical is a 12v system, so my theory says Voltage x current = power - if voltage = 12V, and power is 35w, then current must be lower. Anyway, I'll just accept it, too hard for my little brain @ midnight. I'll make the mental note to upgrade the wiring should I do this mod...

Z...

·
Registered
476 Posts
The HID systems plug in using the OEM wiring, but they offer an optional relay system to take the load away from the factory wiring and directly to the battery. On a motorcycle, I would recommend doing so. The bulb may have 35W of output, but the voltage is stepped up, that is why there is a ballast and why current draw is greater. The HID lights in my Benz are 10,000 Volts and have a 3x5' heatsink on the ballast. Also, for HID lights to be effective, the lens is designed for a flatter, wider beam that reaches further. Pretty much the opposite of MC headlights. Projector type HID's have about the same effect as high beams, just at a higher temp.

·
Registered
846 Posts
A 35W HID in operation actually draws less current than a 100W halogen - because, just like Zeeman said, current is a function of wattage and voltage.

However, the HID cycle requires a big surge of current draw for the first few seconds to get the ingniter going. So I guess it still may need bigger wires and fuses - I don't know. The HID system I am familiar with is for agricultural/construction use and requires no upgrade of the wiring - it is 35W also. It has a large inrush current of 15 amps but this lasts for only a few seconds and then drops to a typical 2.6 amps.

Also, it sounds like Keith1K had an HID burner with the wrong focal length. If the filament (not really a filament on HID) is not on the exact focal point of the reflector then the light is basically worthless.

·
Registered
846 Posts
The lens on almost all modern headlights has nothing to do with the beam pattern. The Blade and almost all modern cars and bikes use reflector optics with a clear lens, not Fresnel lens optics. Also, SAE specifications determine the beam pattern and where the light is directed. This cannot be deviated from regardless of the light source (halogen, HIR, HID, incandescent).

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
There are a number of pages about that discuss this and also tell which kits are good and which to stay away from.

Also, there are a number of car systems that make nice bike retrofits.

Lighting FAQ <- has some really interesting stuff plus a bunch of info on car projector dimentions and retrofits.

I had a bunch of other links for can't seem to find them for some reason. Oh well.. that one above will provide lots of reading material though.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I've heard that the following (from that website) is quite true and those brands should be avoided!

Linky

What brands of HID bulbs is NOT world class
Many sellers nowadays offers several brands with different price tag. Typically, HID bulbs desgined and manufactured in simple facilities will have lower quality. Most of these bulbs are made Asia. Typical signs of lower quality is non existing data sheets. Consumers reports life to be short (less than 600 hours) and dim output.
Here is a list of bulbs in this category:

Vestec
bulbs in kits sold by Misterjung.com
bulbs in kits sold under 'Bohmen'

1 - 17 of 17 Posts