Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I the only one that thinks that the 954 rear brake has no feel and is lacking seriously power, it's hard even to lock it, unless lot of power is used.

Bike is only 6000km driven, I changed the fluids and there is no air, it has good lever feel, just no real power.

Compared to my previous bike(thunderace and TLS1000) the brake is shiat.

Probably gonna try steel braided line next, or different pads.

I like good rear brake, cause I wheelie all the time, and all the power and feel is welcome.

I already dropped the bike doing slide with brake, the rear got traction and over it went. No damage thou. Crash protection worked.

Any ideas? :idunno:

JakeT.

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
I have no power on my 929's rear brake, either, with a steel braided line. I don't think I could lock it up, but that may not be a bad thing :D
Dunno what to tell ya, seems to be the "norm". If you find a fix, post it up!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
You can lock the rear weel easy, by pushing hard :D

Seriously a more sensible rear brake would get people in trouble more than anyting.

I would leave it as is. or maybe ajust the hight of the pedal

·
Registered
900 Posts
ReaperAZ said:
Is that why there's two big rotors on there, damnit I've be doing it wrong the whole time.
You might have taken one off so the rest of the world can see your spinners more easily.

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
linked brakes won't brake the rear wheel simply by pulling the front brake. They need resistance on the left front rotor to compress a little mini master cylinder.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Re: WANTED:more rear brake power for 954

Yep I use only front when I'm on the track, but I want use the rear so I can make slide turns and wheelie against the brake.. past the BP.

I know it has been designed to be weak, but all my previous bikes had better rear brakes and I have trained not to lock the rear, but I want to lock it when I want to. Also those previous bikes had more feel for the brake.

One magazine said that new speed triple has two cylinder rear caliber and the rear brake has fantastic feel, when it's used to control wheelies. Maybe I need to hook some two cylinder caliber there.

I think I'm not asking much, this is almoust the only downpoint that I have found from 954, other then this, it's pretty good.

jake

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts

If you really need a stronger rear brake than put on a new set of pads, make sure the lines are completely bled of air (bubbles can get trapped easily in the rear line), and adjust the brake pedal to give you maximum leverage when braking.

·
Registered
871 Posts

Red Rider said:
If you really need a stronger rear brake than put on a new set of pads, make sure the lines are completely bled of air (bubbles can get trapped easily in the rear line), and adjust the brake pedal to give you maximum leverage when braking.

What Red said, Get some race brakes and put them on. Get the grabbiest one you can .

·
Registered
14,390 Posts

Red Rider said:
If that doesn't do it, Brembo makes a beautiful 4 piston billet rear jobbie. I think it's about $600 USD. PVM probably also makes some nice rear calipers that may be cheaper for you too.

The 929 rear brake is weak, but mine would certainly lock up!

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
This thread is most intriguing. A fine example of how a simple question posed to the .org results in (mostly) good advise and as expected, a few giggles!

I almost posted, but Red Rider (post #4) beat me to it! However, reading the remaining replies got me thinking about JakeT, where he rides and wondering if this was a fishing trip? (When you get there, click on hyperlink Our Heritage then Rapala Story )

Nice catch Jake!!!! Bubba would be proud!

But again, I could be wrong! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts