Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, on a fairly chilly, but very sunny, day I parked my 54' at work. When I came out later that afternoon I found that a line had been melted into my display - starting from my tac across to my speedo. I wasn't sure what to make of it.

Parking in the same location but back about half a foot the next day I was MIFT to find another line had been melted into my display. It would appear the combination of refracted light from my ZERO GRAVITY WINDSCREEN on cold plastic created enough of a temperature change to warp my plastic. Just a friendly warning to all those with one or thinking of buying one (well that and my goal is to get over 100 posts by Xmas :)).

I'll post some photos later.

·
Registered
146 Posts
symonjester said:
Recently, on a fairly chilly, but very sunny, day I parked my 54' at work. When I came out later that afternoon I found that a line had been melted into my display - starting from my tac across to my speedo. I wasn't sure what to make of it.

Parking in the same location but back about half a foot the next day I was MIFT to find another line had been melted into my display. It would appear the combination of refracted light from my ZERO GRAVITY WINDSCREEN on cold plastic created enough of a temperature change to warp my plastic. Just a friendly warning to all those with one or thinking of buying one (well that and my goal is to get over 100 posts by Xmas :)).

I'll post some photos later.
It's a Double Bubble, right? That's a known problem and not limited to ZG. Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I would like to see the pics when you have them.

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
It's a known problem, it has happened even with the stock windscreens IIRC. I believe the warranty should cover that. Worth a look into. You can also do a search, it's been discussed many times. :cheers:

·
Registered
358 Posts
That sucks as I ordered a smoke one today. Is your smoke?

When I park my bike I'll have to put a towel over the cluster or something.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gblade said:
That sucks as I ordered a smoke one today. Is your smoke?

When I park my bike I'll have to put a towel over the cluster or something.
Yup - mines a smoke too. A towel should work fine - wish I had thought of that :(

·
Registered
358 Posts
ULEWZ (cool) How do you like the touring model ? I thought about getting one of those for that special (long) road trip.

Symon* that sucks (again). Sorry about that burn too ouch.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I have a Fabbri on my 954 and noticed a little spot on the plastic guage case where it had melted a bit. Right between the tach and the speedometer display.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Gblade said:
ULEWZ (cool) How do you like the touring model ? I thought about getting one of those for that special (long) road trip.

Symon* that sucks (again). Sorry about that burn too ouch.
So far I love it. I am over 6' and needed a little more protection for those triple digit speeds at the track and it fits the bill perfect. It doesn't look too bad either. If you like, I can post a picture. :)

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
I believe Zero Gravity even has a warning on the packaging about this problem. Sucks to have it happen...it did on my old VFR.

·
Registered
358 Posts
So far I love it. I am over 6' and needed a little more protection for those triple digit speeds at the track and it fits the bill perfect. It doesn't look too bad either. If you like, I can post a picture.
A pic would be great, I think I can see it on your avatar.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Brian929RR said:
DONT USE A TOWL, It will just start the towl on fire!!!!!!!!! It is a known fact that this happens, so just sell it and get a regular one!! Want pics......
Here is a thread with pics of the DB starting shit on fire!!
Brian no offence, but I have been doing this for almost 3 years. If the bike is to be parked in the sun (My RC now, and my 929 when I had it) I put a small towel over the instrument cluster. This is a problem for many sportbikes. I've used a towel for a while now, and it has never caught fire (white towel) and I've never melted jack.

Edit: sp

·
Registered
358 Posts
OK then. . .settle down :nono:. . .How about we just keep a roll of aluminium foil with us. Just tear a sheet off and wrap it around the cluster, seats, grips, and leathers in the summer, maybe even offer some to a riding buddy or two :thumb:

I went ahead and ordered the ZG Sport Touring model as I am 6'3".
Thanks for the heads up ULEWZ. I found a pic of all three types side by side on another site. The "ST" model may also avoid this melting phenom. I'd still like to see a pic of your bike if ya don't mind.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Brian929RR said:
ok, you know all...........Im wrong and your right.
:clap: :clap:
No you are right, don't put a towel there because your bike will burn to the ground :rotfl:

I almost took you seriously until I saw what is listed under your username :D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts