Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got an email today saying eBay couldn't verify my account information during one of their regular updates. It directed me to a site to update my info, including SSN and credit card info. Well, at first glance it looked almost real. The URL they send you to looks real as well except they do some encoding that you can't read and might take as garbage but it hides (unless you decode it) the real site you are going to.

Just wanted to make sure people are aware and don't get caught up in it. I am usually pretty good at picking out the scam jobs but this one actually had me going to a short time until I viewed the source on my email message and saw the encoding.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
I have been receiving these since April in one form or another. The last 5 or so, I have actually filled out and returned. I entered every possible field with #### YOU. I wonder if they think I may suspect something . . .

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Any credible Internet-company that needs that kind of information will have you enter it through a secure, encrypted connection. They should never, ever ask to you email it or send it through an unencrypted connection.

Sadly, there are plenty of people who won't take this level of caution and will hand that information out to anyone.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ER : Any credible Internet-company that needs that kind of information will have you enter it through a secure, encrypted connection.  They should never, ever ask to you email it or send it through an unencrypted connection.

Sadly, there are plenty of people who won't take this level of caution and will hand that information out to anyone.
The email directed you to a supposedly secure internet site to enter the info. Like I said, to the casual observer it would be enough to fool you. I have seen some other blantanly obvious scams around ebay, but this one was a little more clever.

I traced the IP back to Korea and sent the site admins a complaint. I doubt much will be done but who knows...

·
Registered
799 Posts
Don't trust people from Nigeria also.

Those Ebay ones look pretty good, but usually if you look at where things are linking to it's pretty obvious something isn't kosher.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
lfg929 : Quote (ER @ Sep. 14 2003, 9:33am)Any credible Internet-company that needs that kind of information will have you enter it through a secure, encrypted connection.  They should never, ever ask to you email it or send it through an unencrypted connection.

The email directed you to a supposedly secure internet site to enter the info. Like I said, to the casual observer it would be enough to fool you. I have seen some other blantanly obvious scams around ebay, but this one was a little more clever.

I traced the IP back to Korea and sent the site admins a complaint. I doubt much will be done but who knows...
Wow...that's almost impressive. Did Windows give the 'You're entering a secure-site' notice?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nope. It wasn't *actually* a secure site. Outlook hides the actual URL and only shows you the link. The link *said* it was going to something like 'https://sgicgi.ebay.com' or something similar, but it actually took you to 'https://[email protected]<encoding here...>'. Had I not been pretty familiar with hex encoding in URLs (I am used to seeing %20 in URLs instead of a space) then I might not have picked up on the fact that it was bogus.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts