Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, new to this. I've bought a '89 Honda CBR 400 with the intention to strip right down and build back up. The bike has been sitting for 2years and i think for a period of time it was sitting outside :(
Today I took advantage of the sun and tackled quite alot and took the panels off, loom out etc., and then the carbs.......
This is where the fun stopped....
I noticed they looked all gunked up and thought here we go, a good overhaul on these carbs is needed. So i proceeded to take them off.
Once off, I noticed the far left inlet was full of water, and i mean to the brim!:huh:
Looked in the others and they had water in them too but not as much.
The second inlet had a rusty crust on the inside aswell.:crap:
I flipped the carbs over and the carb on the far left inlet was caked in this rusty wet gunk:idunno:

Does the engine just need to be stripped down and cleaned out?
I haven't got engine internals knowledge and really hope someone can help me in the next step.
I will take the engine to a bike shop but i don't know what I want them to do as I'm not sure whats wrong.
Any help will be appreciated.
Cheers

·
Registered
902 Posts
Was the plugs left out of the bike, also if the exhaust was off and engine out and the engine had been left on its back it could have filled up with rain water. If it was me i would take the oppottunity to strip the engine down and do it right, get a manual you will have it done in no time, plus when you get a prob later on you will know what to do.You have to remember these are the problems you can see, there could well be a problem that cant be seen.

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
Hi guys, new to this. I've bought a '89 Honda CBR 400 with the intention to strip right down and build back up. The bike has been sitting for 2years and i think for a period of time it was sitting outside :(
Today I took advantage of the sun and tackled quite alot and took the panels off, loom out etc., and then the carbs.......
This is where the fun stopped....
I noticed they looked all gunked up and thought here we go, a good overhaul on these carbs is needed. So i proceeded to take them off.
Once off, I noticed the far left inlet was full of water, and i mean to the brim!:huh:
Looked in the others and they had water in them too but not as much.
The second inlet had a rusty crust on the inside aswell.:crap:
I flipped the carbs over and the carb on the far left inlet was caked in this rusty wet gunk:idunno:

Does the engine just need to be stripped down and cleaned out?
I haven't got engine internals knowledge and really hope someone can help me in the next step.
I will take the engine to a bike shop but i don't know what I want them to do as I'm not sure whats wrong.
Any help will be appreciated.
Cheers
I hope you got it _real_ cheap...
Does the engine turn over?
I'd expect to find rust in the bottom end and the cylinder.
It's probably an iron bore so the rings are probably rusted to the bore.
The rust you can see on the valve stems probably extends to the valve seats and guides (unless they're not steel).
Basically, I would expect it to be much cheaper to find another engine (and carbs) to put in the bike.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hope you got it _real_ cheap...
Does the engine turn over?
I'd expect to find rust in the bottom end and the cylinder.
It's probably an iron bore so the rings are probably rusted to the bore.
The rust you can see on the valve stems probably extends to the valve seats and guides (unless they're not steel).
Basically, I would expect it to be much cheaper to find another engine (and carbs) to put in the bike.
I paid £180 for the whole bike????
The carbs aren't bad, sprayed with carb cleaner they wet gunk came off, hadn't stuck to the metal.
Worse case I get a new engine.
Best case, if i open it up and clean up all that rust and that, will it run alright? With new valves and that?

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
I paid £180 for the whole bike????
The carbs aren't bad, sprayed with carb cleaner they wet gunk came off, hadn't stuck to the metal.
Worse case I get a new engine.
Best case, if i open it up and clean up all that rust and that, will it run alright? With new valves and that?
No water or corrosion in the float bowl?
I would think best case is to find a new engine if they're that cheap.
If you have to rebuild it, it'll certainly cost more than that - even if you do it yourself.
But yes, it'll run like a new engine if you rebuild it properly.
It should give you years of enjoyment.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
All this and not to mention if that engine has seen freezing temps as I'm sure it has by the sounds of it and the cylinder(s) filled with water and then freezing...not good at all. You are likely better off replacing the motor.

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.