Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been a member for a while but I don't post a lot. I noticed today when I fired my bike up that I had water in the oil (milky white floating on top of oil). My question is will this be covered by the warranty. I have a 2001 929 with 8900 miles.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Drew01 said:
I have been a member for a while but I don't post a lot. I noticed today when I fired my bike up that I had water in the oil (milky white floating on top of oil). My question is will this be covered by the warranty. I have a 2001 929 with 8900 miles.
If the bike is less than 1 year from original date of purchase old or if you have an extended warranty then yes. Does it blow white smoke out the tailpipe? You must have a blown head gasket. Rare in my opinion but totally possible.

·
Registered
502 Posts
FullForce said:
If the bike is less than 1 year from original date of purchase old or if you have an extended warranty then yes. Does it blow white smoke out the tailpipe? You must have a blown head gasket. Rare in my opinion but totally possible.
I suspect that a water pump seal needs replacing.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Maybe far fetched, but maybe condensation from storage? :idunno:
I would try changing the oil and see if it comes back again before taking it to a dealer to have them tell you there is nothing wrong with it and avoid possible extra costs a dealer may try to incurr.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No it does not blow white smoke out the tailpipe. Seems to be running great otherwise. I am the first owner of the bike, and I can't say if I bought the extended warranty or not. Guess I will be looking.

How would I be able to tell if it is the head gasket or the water pump seals??

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jake said:
Maybe far fetched, but maybe condensation from storage? :idunno:
I would try changing the oil and see if it comes back again before taking it to a dealer to have them tell you there is nothing wrong with it and avoid possible extra costs a dealer may try to incurr.
I rode a couple of days ago for 3 hours with no problems, and I already changed the oil and the milky white appeared back on top of the oil in the sight glass.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Drew01 said:
I rode a couple of days ago for 3 hours with no problems, and I already changed the oil and the milky white appeared back on top of the oil in the sight glass.
Closely monitor your coolant level, making sure you check it exactly the same way each time. If you don't notice white smoke out the exhaust, then it is most likely the water pump seal. Unfortunately, the only way to know if it is for sure the seal is to replace it. The good part is that it isn't difficult to replace.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Latebraking said:
Closely monitor your coolant level, making sure you check it exactly the same way each time. If you don't notice white smoke out the exhaust, then it is most likely the water pump seal. Unfortunately, the only way to know if it is for sure the seal is to replace it. The good part is that it isn't difficult to replace.
I was looking in the service manual and it shows the mechanical seal inspection hole at the bottom of the water pump. I just checked that and there is no sign of leakage.

·
Registered
212 Posts
What brand of oil are you using? I had this problem on a 95 ZX6R with Golden Spectro oil. I changed oil brands and the problem went away. :idunno:

·
Registered
502 Posts
Drew01 said:
I was looking in the service manual and it shows the mechanical seal inspection hole at the bottom of the water pump. I just checked that and there is no sign of leakage.
That form of inspection is not reliable. Keep your options open.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Check the coolant bottle for oil floating on top as well, that would be a head gasket or cracked head. ...heh crackhead!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
CBRBob said:
Check the coolant bottle for oil floating on top as well, that would be a head gasket or cracked head. ...heh crackhead!
I checked my paperwork and I do have the extended warranty. When I talked to the BVH this morning the service guy said that it should be covered under warranty. I am dropping the bike off sometime this week. I will let you guys know what happens.

Thanks for all the advice and help.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hummmm, noticed this on mine too earlier in the year. Never thought much about it either. Never thought about a head gasket leak. Just replaced the water pump last season though. Just assumed it was condensation on the site glass. After running, oil seems to look normal again... Maybe I should check a little deeper into this too. Got ridden hard too :eek: Hope nothing got messed up.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Next time you change your oil, when you go to drain it just pull the drain plug very slowly only allowing a few drops to come out. If you have coolant in your oil it will come out first, as the oil will be sitting on top of the coolant. It will come out as green as if you were draining your rad.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
TroyBoy said:
Next time you change your oil, when you go to drain it just pull the drain plug very slowly only allowing a few drops to come out. If you have coolant in your oil it will come out first, as the oil will be sitting on top of the coolant. It will come out as green as if you were draining your rad.
:wstupid:

I've changed oil in VW Beetles three times in a row and the milkshake is still there (BTW old Beetles are air cooled. No water). It could still be condensation. The gooie baby diarea sticks to the sides of the pan and will show up on the sight glass again.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
TroyBoy said:
I will try that next time I drop the oil.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just talked to bvh. The tech pressure tested the cooling system to 17 pounds of pressure for almost 30 min with no loss of pressure.

Service guy said that he doesn't think it is the cooling system. I tend to agree if it held pressure for that long. He also stated that their did not appear to be much if any water in the oil currently. His suggestion was to run it for a while and check to see if milky crap is still there.

At least they are not charging me much for the service. $20.00.

And if anything is wrong it should still be covered under warranty.

·
Registered
59 Posts
step 1. put a damn furnace in the garage or wherever you store your bike and keep it a constant temperature.

step 2. go find some engine flush that you put in the engine oil and run the engine for 15-20 min to flush all the goop out, only, run it about 45 min or so to get it good and hot.

step 3. get some good synthetic oil. amsoil, mobil 1, motul, whatever... anything is better than the crap you prolly got in there now. fill your bike up with new fresh oil, and if you start it and run it, make sure its good and hot before you shut it off....... :welcome:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
dingoRR said:
step 1. put a damn furnace in the garage or wherever you store your bike and keep it a constant temperature.

step 2. go find some engine flush that you put in the engine oil and run the engine for 15-20 min to flush all the goop out, only, run it about 45 min or so to get it good and hot.

step 3. get some good synthetic oil. amsoil, mobil 1, motul, whatever... anything is better than the crap you prolly got in there now. fill your bike up with new fresh oil, and if you start it and run it, make sure its good and hot before you shut it off....... :welcome:
1. Garage doesn't get that cold (I live in Nor Cali).

2. Can I use the oil that I just put in it. Honda HP 4. I have been using it for a while now.

3. As soon as it stops raining I plan on running it hard for at least an hour. If if breaks then back to Honda for warranty work.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts