Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hay I was blessed today that removing the air box flapper fixed the acceleration problems I have been having.
I rode around the storage complex where it is and noticed the fan never came on.
Last week I pulled the radiator and flushed it. put it all back together and filled it. I checked after the ride and the hoses were still cool and soft.
The dash doesn't do anything but N light. so no temp display.
I find it hard to believe that I wasn't hot enough to move some coolant.
I am wondering if the pump isn't moving coolant. Does a mechanical pump quit moving coolant when it fails, or does it just leak?
any thoughts about this would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Hay I was blessed today that removing the air box flapper fixed the acceleration problems I have been having.
I rode around the storage complex where it is and noticed the fan never came on.
Last week I pulled the radiator and flushed it. put it all back together and filled it. I checked after the ride and the hoses were still cool and soft.
The dash doesn't do anything but N light. so no temp display.
I find it hard to believe that I wasn't hot enough to move some coolant.
I am wondering if the pump isn't moving coolant. Does a mechanical pump quit moving coolant when it fails, or does it just leak?
any thoughts about this would be appreciated.
some more info would be helpful otherwise we just have to ask stupid questions like how long were you running it for, is there water in the engine etc. Pumps normally keep rotating, and if they have water in them, will pump it. If not, they still rotate but just overheat the seal so that when you do eventually put water in the engine, it all pisses out the wrecked seal.

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,146 Posts
You probably won’t notice the fan cone on riding around a storage complex unless the outside temp was in the high 80’s and and it was stationary. Takes a bit for the fans to come in. I think on my 99 it doesn’t come on until a mount 212 degrees or so. You can always ground the fan circuit to make sure the fan works.

The water pump will typically never fail at turning, as its driven by the oil pump shaft. But, in an extreme case it could I suppose. They o OT fail when they leak out the telltale hole. Either way, I would guess yours is spinning just fine.

Did you bleed/burp the cooling system when you filled the radiator back up to relieve all the air in the system?

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,146 Posts
The cooling system may have air pockets in it which will impede water flow and could create pockets where the thermo switch is located, either activating it too soon or not at all. I believe that switch is on the thermostat housing.

Run the engine without the radiator cap on to watch all the bubbles rise out. Give it some revs and be careful because at some point it will start to run out the top. I usually use a syringe and suck coolant out and put it back into the overflow bottle. Make sure you see the water “flowing”, to know that the thermostat has opened. Once you see no bubbles, shut it off. Let it sit for a while and cool. Fill radiator to the top, then put the cap back on. Did you say you get no temp reading on the dash??? That could be an issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts