Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a water softener(not "SOFTNER")? Tell me the good, bad, or whatever else you can about one. :idunno:

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
I experienced a shower with a water softener once - I HATED IT!!! You can stand under the shower phugging forever, and you still feel like you have a soap scum on your skin. Give me good old hard water any day. That said, I know there are many people out there who prefer soft water. My two cents...

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry Bacchus. I'm not trying to piss anyone off I'm just messin around. It's late. I really appreciate the reply.

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
Nah, my mistake. It's late for me too. Hope you get the info you're looking for, but I stand by my statement above - personally I hated it, for the reason I mentioned. Hey, it's all good! :D

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I had one at my last house, which had a well. It will make you clothes washer work much better, you may even be able to use less soap. I needed mine badly because of the amount of calcium in the water would destroy things like the aerators on facets and washing machine valves. I would not have a well without one, but I would not put one on city water.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Have had one for 10 years. All auto, just have to remember to fill with salt twice a year. Wash your clothes with only a tablespoon of tide, whites no longer gray! Throw away the CLR and LimeAway. Couldn't be happier with it would highly recommend one.:thumb:

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Yup. It all depends on what your used to and the hardness of the water coming into your house. My parents have one and about the only thing different I notice is soap suds easier in the shower and the water feels "slippery." I have'nt had it for over 5 years and don't miss it.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
We have a well and without the softener we would need to move. It really isn't an option where we live and the softener is only one part of the equation as we have a 3 stage inline filtration system, air-injector, and potassium backwash in front of the softener. We use 200 pounds of salt per month and refresh the beads in the potassium unit once per year along with shocking the well. The inline filter units get changed out every other month. I should point out that this makes the water acceptable for baths, showers and washing clothes, but drinking it is impossible, as it still has quite a bit of iron and sulphur.

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
Damn, Abtech! Guess you have to purchase bottled water for drinking?
We used to have a softener on our well, but it was taken out years ago because my parents couldn't have the added salt in their diets. I haven't missed it. When I get the well tested, the water is on the upper side of the acceptable limits for hardness, but still within range.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
abtech said:
We have a well and without the softener we would need to move. It really isn't an option where we live and the softener is only one part of the equation as we have a 3 stage inline filtration system, air-injector, and potassium backwash in front of the softener. We use 200 pounds of salt per month and refresh the beads in the potassium unit once per year along with shocking the well. The inline filter units get changed out every other month. I should point out that this makes the water acceptable for baths, showers and washing clothes, but drinking it is impossible, as it still has quite a bit of iron and sulphur.
I went to a class up in Novi MI, and all of the sinks and toilets wererusty looking. They said that's how bad the water is there. Mine is nowhere near that, but I can tell the taste difference between O'Fallon Mo water and St Louis County Water.

Is soft water high in salt? giong from HG2's reply it may not be good for someone with low salt needs(visiting family).

Went to see the Culligan man about 1 mile away Friday and he said alot of people around here have softeners, and Home Depot has LOTS of salt always available.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Stayed @ my aunt-in-laws' house in San Jose, CA for a week during the MotoGP. They had water a water softener and I hated it. Same as Bacchus, no matter how long I stayed in the shower, I still felt like I hadn't washed off the soap from my body.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Water softeners won't make your water salty. If it's just the taste you're trying to change, what about a good filtration system? Our water here in Columbia tastes an awful lot like pool water if you don't do anything to it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts