Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are they worth it? i know we have some audiophilles here. I know some people think bose is just overpriced. but that is not what i am looking for.

does it produce the sound that they say it does? is it worth 500?

anybody know where i can get a discount?

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
and this is how much i value your opinion :stfu: just because you can't afford one doesn't mean you have to slam it.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
I wouldn't buy one, but that's just me. Bose is very good at being loud...so if you want volume and have $500 to spend, go for it. :idunno:

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i was expecting that from you. i remember the conversations we have had in the past about them.

I am looking for something to put in a fairly large bathroom that sounds good and doesn't have wires all around it. wires are a hazard new the water :smilebig:

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
bubba said:
wires are a hazard new the water :smilebig:
Make sure your bathroom has a GFI and you'll be all right. I am an audio nut and would not spend the money for the Bose. Their paper cones have never impressed me. They spend big bucks on advertising for product recognition and not enough on product developement IMO. But it's your money and they give you time to return it if you are not satisfied. If any place, a bathroom is probably the right place for it anyway. j/k.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
bubba said:
i was expecting that from you. i remember the conversations we have had in the past about them.

I am looking for something to put in a fairly large bathroom that sounds good and doesn't have wires all around it. wires are a hazard new the water :smilebig:

Didn't you go out and get a nice HT receiver? Spend the $500 on a nice set of in-wall/ceiling speakers, a switcher unit, some wire and a handsaw and go to town. :eyebrows:

·
Premium Member
4,302 Posts
bubba said:
anybody know where i can get a discount?
bose employees or servicepeople (like ups drivers, delivery guys, etc.), around the holidays :D

No kidding...

I know where their building is if you ever come to Ma. you can probably get one free. Just wear your "happiness is a steaming gutpile" shirt that day.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I wouldn't buy anything without listening to it. I've heard it and I was unimpressed. Also, I don't think any electronic equipment that isn't specifically to handle a damp environment like a bathroom will last that long.

I listened to this unit for about 5 minutes and frankly thought it sounded pretty bad. But YOU may like it - audio is so subjective.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Afraid I'm with the crowd here, not a Bose fan. I like the small integrated Japanese units like Sony (not the cheapest ones), Teac or my favourite Denon and in a bathroom you could use the flat panel speakers to hang on the wall. You don't need much power in the biggest of bathrooms with the mulititude of reflecting surfaces and you are never going to get particularly high quality sound in that environment.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SomeStrangeGuy said:
bose employees or servicepeople (like ups drivers, delivery guys, etc.), around the holidays :D

No kidding...

I know where their building is if you ever come to Ma. you can probably get one free. Just wear your "happiness is a steaming gutpile" shirt that day.

i know where the bose buildings are. I am actually about a 2 minute walk from there right now.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
The best way to evaluate a Bose system is to A/B it against a comparably priced system by JBL and make certain you can see all of the components used for the demo. I have never seen anyone buy ANY Bose products when compared head to head with a "real" audio system.

In stores where other products are sold alongside Bose, it's usually not possible to do a real time compariosn, as Bose doesn't want that to happen.

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
Bose no lows :thumbd: Avoid it like the plague. They have a good marketing department, that's why they do so well.

I would also recommend adding just an in wall speaker with the head unit somewhere outside the bathroom. The humidity will get to it in a short amount of time and it's a lot more cost effective to replace a speaker than an entire stereo.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
avoid bose...

Nothing but hype. Go to a GOOD audio shop and listen to some GOOD brands. The difference will be obvious, no matter what price range you are dealing with.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
We have two in the house, on compact one and one tower. I like the sound and the foot print is minimal. They blow away the little 60.00 RCA I have on my desk at work. Then again, it is not 500.00. They are the wife's, had 'em before we were married. Personally I would spend that kinda cash on one but that is me.
They sound good, don't take up a lot of room, and they look good. You ain't got these 14" book shelf speakers ya gotta deal with.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts