Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm haveing a weird electrical problem on my 929. Maybe someone on this board can help. I removed my frame to polish it and the subframe. When I reassembled the bike the power was on all the time. I could start the bike with no key in the ignition. I checked everything. I can't figure out what is wrong. I did find out that if I disconect the P4 Rectifier plug the problem goes away. Could this be a bad rectifier? I do not know the signs of a faild one. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Chris

·
Registered
395 Posts
Chris,
After looking at the Service manual schematics, I can't see any real circuits that could result in the sequence you refer to. Maybe the ignition wires are shorting out thus the bypass of the key on sequence. If your rectifier was bad (open) you wouldn't be able to start the bike. I would suggest that you recheck all of the electrical connections. There are several 2,3 and 4 pin connectors that you might have accidentally switched. Then again, you should also experience some other kinds of "weirdness" if that were the case. If you have a multimeter, check your ignition switch.

Sorry not much help but the best I can do without laying my hands on the problem.

Good Luck,
Mavic

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Did you disconnect the starter relay located next to the fuse box? If so, are you sure the power wires are hooked up correctly (there should be two red wires which go to this relay)? Make sure they are not switched around.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I've checked the manuel. everything is hooked up correctly. It isn't the ignition as Mavic suggested becuase it does the same thing even when the front harness is diconnected. It's funny because it was working fine before I removed the frame. The rectifier did get a little wet when the bike was apart but I wouldn't think that it would cause that. Maybe it's time to call a preist to cast out the demons :O) Has anyone even heard of this happening?

Chris

·
Registered
548 Posts
Perhaps the system doesn't have a good ground. I don't know if that would cause the problem you speak of but.... If all the connnectors have been replaced properly maybe the system isn't grounded to the frame well due to some polishing compound residue or maybe an aluminum washer or something. Check the battery connections and the ignition with the battery disconnnected.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts