Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On top of adding a bunch of parts I also changed my oil. And look what came out. Not sure what it is. It looks like a ribbon of something metal. One side is highly polished and the other side is rough, almost knurled. Could be a plating of some type. Not sure where it came from in the motor but it ended up in my
oil drain pan. This was one rolled up piece, when I picked it up it broke apart.
:idunno:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Hmmm....looks like something from the valve....maybe a retaining collet....but i dont think bike ones are that big....nor are they cast.

Kinda looks like the top of a valve....maybe a bit of grub from when u had the engine done....

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Those are machining chips that were not completely cleaned from the engine pre-assembly....

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
abtech said:
Damn! you found a quarter in your oil pan? whew . . . .

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I was thinking the same thing; I better change my oil and see what the oil fairy leaves me.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
:rotfl:

Maybe you have lost a tooth in the gearbox and the tooth fairy came :D

·
Registered
358 Posts
Yeah......how did that quarter fit through the drain hole?

Really, it looks like smaller pieces of the same stuff (scrap metal) found in the steering head. Was this your first oil change?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I found the same thing on my 929 when changing the oil last summer, exactly the same looking fragments. It was soon after I had a custom map made on the dyno. I freaked out but kept running it and never noticed any more material in the oil and it's ran fine.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
rockets25 said:
I found the same thing on my 929 when changing the oil last summer, exactly the same looking fragments. It was soon after I had a custom map made on the dyno. I freaked out but kept running it and never noticed any more material in the oil and it's ran fine.
Is that avatar legal? :deal: :D

I do like it though :thumb:

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
jaim said:
On top of adding a bunch of parts I also changed my oil. And look what came out. Not sure what it is. It looks like a ribbon of something metal. One side is highly polished and the other side is rough, almost knurled. Could be a plating of some type. Not sure where it came from in the motor but it ended up in my
oil drain pan. This was one rolled up piece, when I picked it up it broke apart.
:idunno:
I wouldn't worry...all kinds of crap comes out of the engine during breakin. The filter will pick them up, so there's no danger.

Never seen a quarter pop out though. :D

·
Registered
252 Posts
ConqSoft said:
Nope, it wasn't.
Damn, I missed it!! So what was it???? :idunno:

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am not too worried about those smallish metal parts. That was my second oil change but only at 600 miles. My first oil change was when I got the bike home and the oil looked like metal flake paint. My oil still has some really small metal flakes throughout but I am letting the filter do its job and clean that stuff out. Next bike I get I am dropping the oil pan on the first oil change. I may just do that on this bike. It seems like they didn't clean out any of the metal fragments from the manufacturing process.

I am keeping the quarter though. Next oil change I am hoping for a gold dabloon, maybe even a diamond. Look in those oil drain pans, they could be the path to riches. :rotfl:

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
GhostRider said:
Is that avatar legal? :deal: :D

I do like it though :thumb:
I say Conq should have to start a thread of all of the "deleted avitars due to forum policy" so that we may all share in the beauty. No Rotten.com stuff!

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
jaim said:
I am not too worried about those smallish metal parts. That was my second oil change but only at 600 miles. My first oil change was when I got the bike home and the oil looked like metal flake paint. My oil still has some really small metal flakes throughout but I am letting the filter do its job and clean that stuff out. Next bike I get I am dropping the oil pan on the first oil change. I may just do that on this bike. It seems like they didn't clean out any of the metal fragments from the manufacturing process.

I am keeping the quarter though. Next oil change I am hoping for a gold dabloon, maybe even a diamond. Look in those oil drain pans, they could be the path to riches. :rotfl:
try bumping up the compression to like 100:1 and enrich the fuel mixture so you get carbon buildup on the valves and lets hope you ride enough to get that to turn into a diamond

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
ratter said:
:rotfl:

Maybe you have lost a tooth in the gearbox and the tooth fairy came :D
:rotfl: thats a good one
he just wanted to go down a tooth and do it the cheap way.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Transmission would be made of hardened metal. Definately looks like it came from somewhere up top where weight is a issue. I'd preform a leak-down test to be sure.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts