Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i took a nice long ride yesterday on my 01 929 with 16.5k... 30min in i felt a weird feel when hitting small stutter bumps. like the feeling of riding a bicycle with a loose headset. i stopped at a gas station, felt everything, front wheel, triple, etc...nothing loose so im guessing its some bearings...

FAK.

i lent a friend my stands so i cant use them but i lifted the bike on the kickstand and spun the front wheel..spins freely without much noise. however when i ride now, it definitly got worse and the front end feels loose and at times it makes a noticeable grinding noise. nothing physically feels loose and i cant feel any wobbles when shaking the bike. from searching on here it seems like possibly the steering head bearings? does this sound like the proper symptoms? if so, how big of a job is this, how much/where can i get the bearings, and is there any online tutorials? i am really at a point where money is tight and i NEED this bike for transportation so i have to get this thing back on the road. help me out! i have semi-ok mechanic skills but ive never pulled apart a triple and i know the dealer will rape me on service fees if i bring it there.

thanks

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
ok so i took a nice long ride yesterday on my 01 929 with 16.5k... 30min in i felt a weird feel when hitting small stutter bumps. like the feeling of riding a bicycle with a loose headset. i stopped at a gas station, felt everything, front wheel, triple, etc...nothing loose so im guessing its some bearings...

FAK.

i lent a friend my stands so i cant use them but i lifted the bike on the kickstand and spun the front wheel..spins freely without much noise. however when i ride now, it definitly got worse and the front end feels loose and at times it makes a noticeable grinding noise. nothing physically feels loose and i cant feel any wobbles when shaking the bike. from searching on here it seems like possibly the steering head bearings? does this sound like the proper symptoms? if so, how big of a job is this, how much/where can i get the bearings, and is there any online tutorials? i am really at a point where money is tight and i NEED this bike for transportation so i have to get this thing back on the road. help me out! i have semi-ok mechanic skills but ive never pulled apart a triple and i know the dealer will rape me on service fees if i bring it there.

thanks
Very simple job and inexpensive also
http://www.motosport.com/motorcycle...29RR/?modelyearid=1069&typeid=3&groupId=53161

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks spina! now i did alittle thinking..do my symptoms lean more towards the steering stem or wheel bearings? random grinding noise while riding straight(sounds like sand in a bearing), loose and uneasy feeling in the bars (almost feels like the front wheel is wobbling) . seems like it may actually sounds the wheel bearing....would the steering bearings make a grinding noise when just riding straight at 30mph? i scooped my stands up tonight so i will take the front wheel off tommorow evening and check it out but until then i wont know..

think itll be the wheel or steering?

·
Registered
931 Posts
Check wheel bearings, cheap and relatively easy to replace. More likely, check pads and calipers, if one is siezing up it will give these symptoms as the pads rub the disk. Once again an easy job to clean and lube the pistons / pad pins.

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
thanks spina! now i did alittle thinking..do my symptoms lean more towards the steering stem or wheel bearings? random grinding noise while riding straight(sounds like sand in a bearing), loose and uneasy feeling in the bars (almost feels like the front wheel is wobbling) . seems like it may actually sounds the wheel bearing....would the steering bearings make a grinding noise when just riding straight at 30mph? i scooped my stands up tonight so i will take the front wheel off tommorow evening and check it out but until then i wont know..

think itll be the wheel or steering?
Sounds to me more like wheel bearings, the stem bearings wouldn't make noise if you weren't moving the bars and just going straight, plus you would probably have a little play in there. put the bike on the stands and grab your front wheel like a streering wheel and move it side to side see if there is any play in the wheel bearings.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.