Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Doubtfull. There's nothing slowing me down except myself. :crap:

But yea, I've been following that thread, and may have even posted in it. Mongo's stance on the deal is suprising, IMO. The place needs work for sure. But at my pace it's barely an issue. At 1:06's, (a full 10 secs fast than my best ever time, and about 12 secs faster than my fastest this year) there's hardly a safe place on the track.

Last race, a number of people went off in the kink. One guy complaing of the "eight foot drop off from the track to the grass" and another guy hit a tire wall pretty hard. The day before, a guy was life flighted after going down there. It's a scary section b/c it's so fast and the the kink comes up on you in a hurry. The dip in the middle of it (right at the apex) is good and bad. It slows you down, but it also will throw you out of the seat. Typically I stand up just a bit and let the bike come back into me. But again, remember that I'm slower than molasses in January.

Anyway, I'd like to see a group of people get together to work and move the walls. Sort of like a community work day or something. The problem is that the disposal of the tires is very costly. Very costly.

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Check around on the tire disposal if it comes to that. I think they burn them in a steam plant here, might occur other places also :idunno: In the meantime avoid it and protect your hide :thumb:

·
Registered
630 Posts
A different point of view:

I hear this safety complaining alot lately. In my view, if you know it's not safe in a particular corner then you should go slower to make sure you don't crash and get hurt. If you loose the race because some idiot goes faster than you - so be it. It is his life to risk.

Listen to Junge's comments: A. It's too bumpy-they need to fix the bumps. B. If they fix the bumps it will be scary fast. What an ass. Race what you got and ADJUST.

I see all racing becoming sanitized. Motorcycles will never be completely safe because they are motorcycles. I don't take a left corner as fast when I know there is a cliff or a wall on the right. What's wrong with personal responsibility?

NASCAR is becoming so safe that any bozo can go out and crash at 150 on any track at any time and not only walk away, but maybe even drive away. No wonder it's so popular - everyone thinks they can do it with no risk.

Eventually, racing won't mean squat. It will just be another computer game that anyone can master with enough money and practice. "No guts - no glory" will disappear from racing like bell-bottoms and peace signs vanished from San Francisco.

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Racing is inherently dangerous. There are enough dangers w/o adding some that are preventable. Granted, the danger is part of the apeal, but unnecessary danger a la walls that are 20-30 years too close are just stupid.

I hear what you are saying about choosing to go through a dangerous corner slower, but come on, this is racing, not a track day. They can't be compared. If I ask the guy gridded next to me to agree to only go through t1 at the safe 50 insead of the 100mph that is possible, he'd look at me like I had 18 heads. It's just not reasonable.

The fact of the matter is that the track *is* out of date, and *can* be changed/saved. It just takes money. Period.

Unfortunately, the problem gets worse every year as the track gets worse less events go there compounding the "affordability" of upgrades and maintenance. The track needs one of two things, maybe both: some good sponsors, or a benefactor.

HD

·
Registered
14,390 Posts

I hear this safety complaining alot lately. In my view, if you know it's not safe in a particular corner then you should go slower to make sure you don't crash and get hurt. If you loose the race because some idiot goes faster than you - so be it. It is his life to risk.

Listen to Junge's comments: A. It's too bumpy-they need to fix the bumps. B. If they fix the bumps it will be scary fast. What an ass. Race what you got and ADJUST.

I see all racing becoming sanitized. Motorcycles will never be completely safe because they are motorcycles. I don't take a left corner as fast when I know there is a cliff or a wall on the right. What's wrong with personal responsibility?

NASCAR is becoming so safe that any bozo can go out and crash at 150 on any track at any time and not only walk away, but maybe even drive away. No wonder it's so popular - everyone thinks they can do it with no risk.

Eventually, racing won't mean squat. It will just be another computer game that anyone can master with enough money and practice. "No guts - no glory" will disappear from racing like bell-bottoms and peace signs vanished from San Francisco.

You've never been a racer.

·
Registered
11,499 Posts

At the same time, squids (like me) are leaving the street every day to ride on racetracks as a funner, safer alternative. If riders see the track as being less safe than the street they will probably stay on the street.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts

And a point of view I have heard before. The only problem with this is that if I derive my income from racing (as the people in the article do) and will lose my job if I don't finish well, then there is no way I can go out and do any less than 110% regardless of the conditions. If NO ONE went out, then the promoters will eventually stop racing at Nelson's or someone will repair the facility.

I used to race on tracks that people wouldn't consider a parade lap on today, but it took several boycotts and quite a few deaths and crippling injuries before the tracks got any better or were skipped altogether.

The AMA has continually tried to run road races on super speedways and usually with catastrophic results. Daytona to this day is still one of the most unforgiving tracks around, but since it would cost millions in lost sales revenue and status points for the manufacturers, they still race there regardless of the outcome.

WERA has had a love/hate relationship with Nelson Ledges for several years and has stopped running there off and on a few times since 1991. I raced there back in the late 60s and early 70s and it hasn't changed all that much since then. Little bits here and there, but never the complete reface and clearing of obstacles that it needs. Now think about how the speeds and acceleration capabilities have changed since the 70s . . .

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
I raced there back in the late 60s and early 70s and it hasn't changed all that much since then. Little bits here and there, but never the complete reface and clearing of obstacles that it needs. Now think about how the speeds and acceleration capabilities have changed since the 70s . . .

Personally, the surface isn't that bad. Now keep in mind that it's the track that I have the most experience on and also, I'm freakin' slow. So take my opinion w/ a grain of salt, however, bumps are mearly "character" that can be raced around. Everyone has to deal w/ it, and it doesn't effect the racing per se....to an extent. Nelson, IMO isn't to the point that the bumps effect the racing. The surface is in the best shape it's been in for many many years.

The walls/runoff are a totally different story. Turns 1-3, the carousel, and the kink are not good places to go dirt tracking. Unfortunately, that equates to 2/3's of the track.

Now, will I race this Sunday? Yes. I know the danger and I won't push more than I have to. Besides, I'm not turning 1:06's. Not by a long shot.

HD

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Agreed...that tire wall needs to go asap. At the rider's meeting of my July race they asked everyone to not put tires on the wall anymore because it will be removed next year. Hopefully it'll come true.
Yea, every once in a while they remind people.

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
Seems like WERA would take the riders side on this. That is where they make their money, well not all of it but if it were not for the riders they would not have an org. Mongo is not being realistic with this as he tried to compare racing at Nelson with racing in the rain? Not the best analagy IMO.

Off topic: why did WERA stop racing at Putnam?

Seems like a good track, may not have all the ammenities others have but the track seems safer than some others do. The only place that gives me the ibby jibbys is T10 comming onto the straight, no run off what so ever.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts