Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I've experienced the common 954 headshake I've heard these bikes are prone to. Leaned over in a corner, hit the apex applied throttle and the handlebars start going back and forth. I was thinking about it and figure it was because when you apply throttle, the front end will get lighter and upset the suspension.....am I correct in my thinking? What can I do to fix this issue? I know a steering damper will help but that doesn't exactly "fix" the problem, it just masks it. Is there something specific about the 954 that causes this?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
I think I've experienced the common 954 headshake I've heard these bikes are prone to. Leaned over in a corner, hit the apex applied throttle and the handlebars start going back and forth. I was thinking about it and figure it was because when you apply throttle, the front end will get lighter and upset the suspension.....am I correct in my thinking? What can I do to fix this issue? I know a steering damper will help but that doesn't exactly "fix" the problem, it just masks it. Is there something specific about the 954 that causes this?

The most common cause is rider input.
Are you completely relaxed on the bars?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I accidentally posted this thread two times.....I thought it didn't post the first time. Feel free to delete one of them.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The most common cause is rider input.
Are you completely relaxed on the bars?
I'm not sure....I would say that since this is my first sportbike (not first motorcycle) I might be a little tense I guess. Could it really be that simple? Is it possible to countersteer in a hard corner and still be completely relaxed?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
streering damper these bikes need one
when I read the reveiw on my 929 it said first thing get one

Rubbish, they don't _need_ a damper.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
I'm not sure....I would say that since this is my first sportbike (not first motorcycle) I might be a little tense I guess. Could it really be that simple? Is it possible to countersteer in a hard corner and still be completely relaxed?

Because of my weak right hand I tend to hang on only to the left bar which tends to upset the bike on the exits if I get lazy.
What do you mean by "countersteer" in a corner?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
ok just saying rode mine for tha last 4 years at speeds above 170
never had a head shake on this bike. Been riding for forty years

Sure, but how much headshake were you experiencing before you fitted the damper?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
only when the front gets light. Ok if you stay out of it you don't need one.

Even at full noise on the race track you don't need one.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Because of my weak right hand I tend to hang on only to the left bar which tends to upset the bike on the exits if I get lazy.
What do you mean by "countersteer" in a corner?
By countersteer I mean in a right hand turn you are putting pressure on the righthand bar. And vice versa.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For some more info, when I was getting these headshakes it was on a highway on ramp with long sweeping turns.....it didn't feel like I was on the throttle too hard, but again, I don't have very much experience on these bikes.

What kind of weight is the suspension set up for stock? I'm about 185-190 lbs. with full gear.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
only when the front gets light. Ok if you stay out of it you don't need one.
A guy that got his first sport bike and got one with too much power
for a beginner. Might want one.
I control the power with my right wrist....what's the worst that could happen? Lol j/k.....I'm not one of those guys.....

I plan on getting a damper sometime this year, but I really wanted to know the real reason for the shake, whether it be me as the rider, the suspension setup, or a design flaw with the bike itself.....or maybe all 3:idunno:

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
ok just saying rode mine for tha last 4 years at speeds above 170
never had a head shake on this bike. Been riding for forty years
You never had a head shake on that bike, because you put a steering damper on it. Only makes sense right?

As for absolutely needing on. No, that is BS :p

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
For some more info, when I was getting these headshakes it was on a highway on ramp with long sweeping turns.....it didn't feel like I was on the throttle too hard, but again, I don't have very much experience on these bikes.

Get your front wheel off the ground and check bearings
I need to get myself some front and rear paddock stands....definitely on the list. The bike only has 5000 miles so they should be ok.....but you never know I guess.

·
Registered
42 Posts
You never had a head shake on that bike, because you put a steering damper on it. Only makes sense right?

As for absolutely needing on. No, that is BS :p
Did'nt have one when I got it.I went from a VFR to this 929
It took a little getting use to. I never had a bike that would
break traction fishtail front wheel come up when shifting.

It takes a lot less gas to have some fun.
and it did have a little shake before the damper

1 - 20 of 32 Posts