Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My bike came with these horrid red levers with no curvature in them. Cut into my fingers and dinged up the clocks. Couldn't do any slow speed steering and even release the clutch at times on tight rights, almost went down a few times because of this, very annyoing.

I remedied the issue with some good ol' cheap OE style aluminum levers, they were a godsend.

However, my tiny girl-ish hands would really appreciate the clutch side to be adjustable. The OE brake side is adjustable.

So, I have read, many a users are using these cheap Chinese adjustable levers.

Which ones, if any, are you guys using on 1992-1997 Fireblades? Hitting the gauges is not acceptable to me. 98-99 the cluster changed quite a bit, so what works for your 98-99 may not work on my 94.

Seeing as I am new to these bikes, I anticipate going down, don't want to invest big $$$, cheap and disposable is key for me. At this point in my two wheel expedition I consider levers a consumable.

ASVs do sound attractive, but I don't think I can justify it, my bike needs the money spent elsewhere. Yes I've heard they last forever, but still, I can go through many chinese sets for the cost of a pair of ASVs.

I think I can get PSRs for about half the price of ASVs, but have the price of ASVs is still a lot of coin.

Any help much appreciated!

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,052 Posts
I put the chinese versions on my 93. I've struggled with going back to stock because the cheapo ones look so good. I have not had any fitment issues or issues with the front locking up due to poor tolerances. They have performed flawlessly. I believe they are of the "shorty" variety. I think I got them from Amazon actually, not eBay, but in all honesty I can't remember.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I actually almost never buy any bike parts in Canada. Everything usually comes from stateside or the UK. In fact, a rather naughty package arrived from the UK just minutes ago... Urged to spill the beans but it'll have to wait for the build thread.

I'll post a pic of the garbage ones I had on my bike. Since those were so horrible, I assumed all chinese ones were. Then again, the previous owner was an idiot, he might have got the application wrong.

Ian, those shorty levers are about standard sized for my girl hands. Though I do prefer standard length levers. Did you ever have them mounted with stock clocks and fairings though?

My crap ones didn't lock up on me, they would just phyiscally interfere with the the clocks near full steering lock. So if you had the clutch in, you could do a full lock to the right. With the clutch out, the lever hit the clocks and you couldn't. With the clutch in, and redoing all your motorcycle license tests because your license expired, and trying to clutch out at full lock right during a slow speed slalom course... oh god the nightmare that it was.

Seem to be a generic design, I just don't want to be a guinea pig, figured someone's been there and done that by now. Off to amazon and fleabay I go...

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,052 Posts
I haven't had stock bars and/or stock levers on a bike in over 30 years so, unfortunately, I can't say how they fit in an OEM application.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hate shorty levers too, but those shorties look long enough for my tiny hands that if I were to grab a handful of brake I think all my fingers would still catch the lever.

Thanks for that overhead picture Ian, from the looks of it, pretty sure that will hit the stock clocks. I'll put my horrid red lever back in and compare with your picture.

The part that protrudes outward is what was interfering.
Ian shorty lever circle.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got these mzs levers recently. They have a roller adjuster (similar to what asv uses) instead of the clickable dial adjusters most have. I've found them to be much more sturdier than the other mzs and similar Chinese levers. And the anodized coating seems to be lasting whereas the others I've had fade quickly. They have a slightly different feel to them as they're more "square", but I quickly got used to them and love them now. I just ordered some to replace the older style mzs levers on my R1 too(which are faded, and clutch lever had a worn spring shortly after I installed them).
I also tried some of the "adjustable length" "folding" levers on my 600 that also had the dial adjusters and they were total crap. Wobbled all over the place. Way too many moving parts.. I thought I was done with cheap levers until I found these roller style mzs's.

And here's the older style mzs on my R1

And the folding adjustable length ones that came off my 600rr.

And i know you said you wanted budget friendly options, but I got this stunt clutch lever for my 600rr. Best lever there is imo. Except there's no matching brake lever to pair with it. But I've got a brembo rcs for that now.:cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts