Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Battery flat as a fluke yesterday so charged overnight. Just started her up and noticed that there are no ignition lights. But after she starts they flicker almost in time with the DREADFULL tick-over. When I try to rev her the whole of the bike starts knocking and chattering (almost as if the firing is ad-hoc).

all I can tell you is that she was running fine before the battery drained. :mad:

All advice welcomed as I haven't a clue!!! :idunno:

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
Make sure the batteryis good, put it on a good charge and then have it tested. The symptome you are describing can be either a dead battery or a loose connection.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, this is where I sound like a grunt! :rolleyes:

I was under the impression that the battery was only there to start the bike and once started the alternator charged it up (or topped it up).

Tony...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm having this same problem with my 954. From what I've read for the problem with my bike it could be loose wiring or my voltage reg/rec is going out. To answer your question about the battery, apparently when you have a bad battery it can fry your reg/rec because it has to charge too much and overheats itself. Again this is just what I've read if anyone else has a better understanding I'd really like some advice myself.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Ok, this is where I sound like a grunt! :rolleyes:

I was under the impression that the battery was only there to start the bike and once started the alternator charged it up (or topped it up).

Tony...
+

Motorcycle's do not have an alternator, they have a stator. The stator only maintains the current charge of the battery, it does not charge it :(

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm having this same problem with my 954. From what I've read for the problem with my bike it could be loose wiring or my voltage reg/rec is going out. To answer your question about the battery, apparently when you have a bad battery it can fry your reg/rec because it has to charge too much and overheats itself. Again this is just what I've read if anyone else has a better understanding I'd really like some advice myself.

So what/how do I check what might be wrong other than the Battery as I have tried another (good so far as I know) battery and am getting the same symptoms.
Ignition on = No Neutral or Oil lights etc..​

Started up = Neutral Light etc. Flickering and VERY erratic tickover - worse when revving.

Also noticed that the Starter will only turn a for a few seconds before cutting off - no 'bad battery clicking' just cuts out.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Make sure the batteryis good, put it on a good charge and then have it tested. The symptome you are describing can be either a dead battery or a loose connection.
:plus1: it may sound like a broken record but check, clean and if you can put some electric grease on your connections.

I had the same problem with my lights and speedo going out even while riding.

-jh

·
Registered
263 Posts
Same thing happened when I bought me 929 all it needed was a battery. The one it had just didn't have enough charge to keep the fuel injection running properly or the guage cluster lit. Take your battery out and go to a shop and have them check it. It not worth checking every damn connection and electrical piece on the bike when it can be as simple as a battery.

·
Registered
630 Posts
To verify:
No accident. No recent equipment changes. No major maintenance.

This sounds like a grounding issue. Something is not making a good ground connection, or SECOND, something is shorting to ground.
my $.02.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To verify:
No accident. No recent equipment changes. No major maintenance.

This sounds like a grounding issue. Something is not making a good ground connection, or SECOND, something is shorting to ground.
my $.02.
I had fitted an alarm, but then again the alarm was working as was the bike. I concede that the alarm may be responsible for draining the battery - i understand they can do this - but the other symptoms are 'new'.

Tony...

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Got a voltage meter? if not get a cheap one at your local big box. The basic steps in the manual are very good.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: What could his be??? - SOLVED

Was the Main 30 Amp fuse in the Starter Relay that had gone!

Thanks for the advice anyway chaps!

Tony...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts