Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been trailering with my Civic for awhile...never tugged anything heavy as what I did today (about 1300# at one point). All the hardparts are rated for much much more, but what gives with this ball?

It's a fulton, rated for 2000#, and is <6 months old, and was lubed, etc. at the time of this niceness.

Trailer was bouncing around a bit, and the coupler is 100% ok, so I'm confused as to why this would randomly occur? :huh:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
not sure on this one. I have never used any kind of lube on my trailer ball when towing( afraid it will increase possibility of slip off) and have never seen that kind of damage to a ball after towing......looks like they had a bad batch of steel when they made it and it ended up too soft.

·
Premium Member
4,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ConqSoft said:
Can't help, but let me be the first to thank you for wearing clothes when you took that picture. :thumb:
Well you got rid of the NWS section so I had to photoshop some shading in there to render the appearance of clothing :smilebig:

·
Premium Member
4,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Getsome said:
not sure on this one. I have never used any kind of lube on my trailer ball when towing( afraid it will increase possibility of slip off) and have never seen that kind of damage to a ball after towing......looks like they had a bad batch of steel when they made it and it ended up too soft.
Not sure why I started greasing it, my cheapy 1-rail dirtbike trailer would squeal like a pig if I didn't.

The weirder part is that I've towed with it before, so I thought a defect of any type would become quickly apparent. either way - add it to the list of weird shit you've seen in the world of transport...cause I can take a photo of the scrapes on my hand from the burring on that @#%#@.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Not enough tongue weight... :twocents:
The ball does not ride in the socket on it's bearing surface. This causes point contact on the locking mechanism, and subsequent hobbing, then galling. This happens pretty easily with a light trailer being hauled empty...:crap:

·
Premium Member
4,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Baketech said:
Not enough tongue weight... :twocents:
Damn, I knew it! I tried to get my load as far fore the axle as possible but due to construction of the trailer was forced to load it as I did. It was popping more then usual, and was almost perfectly balanced despite a few attempts at moving stuff around to shift weight. I figured "well as long as it's not leaning back I should be ok..."

did about 120 miles yesterday with 2 loads of fencing. The vinyl stuff is light...but in quantity it does get a bit heavy. The load pictured was rails, which I think were about 7# a piece...and I had 92 of em, what, rent a truck you say? why I have a civic - it loves towing! :smilebig:

I can tell you one thing - I'm damn glad I replaced the stock suspension when I did, or I probably wouldn't be here, but we'll leave my unwise decision making for another thread.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts