Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont know what to expect on my road test tomorrow... I live in NY and the only thing i know is that i have to do circles left and right and figure eights but i dont know what kind of road its on and what else i have to do...I think ill be fine but if any one has any kind of help PLEASE TELL ME!!! Thankyou

·
Registered
443 Posts
I think the book u get from the DMV when you go for your permit tells u about the road test.

I see you have a RC51... Are you planning on taking the test on that? I wouldfind something smaller.

Also you should look into the MSF course bc you do learn some good info from taking it plus you get to take your road test there on there 125cc machines. Thats what I did when I was living in NY

·
Registered
76 Posts
:plus1:
MSF courses are definitely the way to go. The road course at the DMV can vary depending on who's testing you and how good or bad his day has been. The figure 8's and such were done slowly in a very tight space here in NC. They want to see that you can control the bike. They want to see stopping on command probably, and maybe knowing how to swerve. Again, I can't stress enough how much help the MSF course will be, but if you take the test at the dmv, find the smallest displacement bike you can. It will be a whole lot easier to do maneuvers at 5mph with something small.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah im not taking it on my RC51 but im taking it on a Buell Thunderbolt which is a little easier than the RC but its still a big bike..

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Not sure about upstate NY, but in the city you'd have to provide a licensed driver and car for the instructor to ride in. He will give instructions from the car (via horn I think) and you will have to do your normal rights/lefts/stops/lane changes.... as well as your circles and figure eights. Standard signaling and head checks apply.

Good luck.

Take the MSF even if you pass the DMV test:thumb:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I looked all over the web and could NOT find an answer to the question, "What can I expect on the NYS MC Motorcycle Road Test?" Some sites, like this one, came close to an answer so I decided to come back to post my experience for the people who search this in the future.

My experience:

NYS MC Permit: Go online, read and study the manual. Also, be sure to study the regular driving manual as approximately half of the questions are related to driving. A good percentage of the questions also cover impairment, DUI, etc. Finally, know your road signs; at least 2 of the questions on my test were on road signs. When you feel ready, check online to see which local DMV offers MC Permit testing and go take the test.

After you pass the test, you will be issued a permit. A permit allows you to ride within a 1/4 of a mile of NYS licensed motorcycle operator. This is a good opportunity to practice, practice, practice...

What to practice:
I practiced the following daily:

Slow riding, figure eights, circles (both right and left), u-turns, quick acceleration to 15 or 20mph and then hard braking (without skidding), both avoiding and going over road hazards (ie a 2x4 piece of wood), hand signals, riding in light, medium and heavy traffic during the day and at night, riding in full and empty parking lots, staying within certain parameters as well as avoiding cars going in and out of spaces, parking, etc.

When you feel ready for the test, you can use the DMV site to schedule it by entering your NYS client ID (permit number) and date of birth.

I bought a bike in early December and was eager to get a MC license as soon as possible. I live in Oyster Bay, NY (North Shore of Long Island) and the closest facility for MC testing is Freeport. When I attempted to schedule the test online, an error to press the back button kept coming up and eventually I found out that Riverhead is the only town for testing in the winter. Riverhead is 60 miles away and I wasn't terrible excited about riding that far on the expressway in 20 to 30 degree weather so I asked a friend with a license if he would be willing and he agreed...poor bastard, it was freezing and he even rode it home.

THE TEST:

We got to the testing site at 1:30 for a 2:00 pm appt. and they told us to park the bike and to get on line with the car. When it was our turn we walked over to the bike and he reviewed the paperwork ie: license, registration, insurance for both bike and car and the two of us. After everything checked out, he pointed to the widest, emptiest parking lot I'd ever seen and said, "Make two left circles, two right circles and two figure eights and come back to me". He then repeated the exact same instructions and I went out and made two left circles, two right circles and two figure eights and rode back to him. When I got back he said, "you are going to go out here to the right, make the first left, go up and make the first right, make another right at the blinking light and make another right to come back here and pull into the parking lot; basically, you'll be making a complete circle". He then repeated the instructions. I asked if he wanted hand signals and he looked at the bike and said, "It has signals, use those" He and my friend got in the car and I waited for them to line up behind me. We went around the block and I never went above the posted speed limit. I rode very conservatively and checked my mirrors to see where they were. In my haste to start the test, I never readjusted my mirrors and therefore, couldn't see as well as I would have liked but I didn't dare touch them then. I rode all the way around, making full stops at every stop sign and the light. When I pulled back into the parking lot, a father of one of the kids getting his permit was standing right in the entryway. All I was thinking was "get the hell out of the way". When I moved in one direction, he moved the same way and when I readjusted, he did the same thing so I just went farther around as I smilingly stared him down for being such a tool. When my friend and the tester pulled up, he was doing a lot of typing into his gizmo; I asked if I should shut the bike off and he said yes. I asked how I did and he said, "You did great except that..." and he hesitated, "you didn't put both feet down at the stop sign". I asked if I passed and he told me I did. I was so happy!!! I asked if my 'dance' with the pedestrian was a problem and he said, "Well, you didn't hit him".

Overall, it was a great experience and I felt very confident in my ability to ride every way that I had practiced; I was just afraid that I would choke in front of the tester.

To sum up: Riverhead in the winter/ Huge parking lot/ Two left circles, two right circles, two figure eights/ Ride around the block.

It was so easy, but I'm still glad I practiced as much as I did.

Tips: Bring the right gear (full face helmet, boots and gloves), registered and insured bike and car. Lots of YouTube videos, turn the idle up and stay in second for the 'slow ride' portion (circles and figure eights), practice in between the curbs of a smaller street (approx 30 feet). Expect it to be harder than what I described and be confident about your riding ability before you schedule the test.

Hope this helps the next person who wants to know what ACTUALLY happens during the NYS Motorcycle Road Test.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I think the book u get from the DMV when you go for your permit tells u about the road test.

I see you have a RC51... Are you planning on taking the test on that? I wouldfind something smaller.

Also you should look into the MSF course bc you do learn some good info from taking it plus you get to take your road test there on there 125cc machines. Thats what I did when I was living in NY
Definitely take the MSF course, my instructor put it this way. If you take the road test at the DMV your not allowed to make any mistakes (going outside the lines, or failing any other exercise) and you'd have to pay again to take the test a second time. The MSF course teaches you wayyyyyy more and you get a nice discount on insurance as well, not to mention the bike is slightly larger than my 10 speed so the figure8 and other maneuvers are a lot easier, and with the final day of the MSF course you take your "road test" where you're allowed to miss about 20 points before you fail. I took the course with 8 other people, of which 3 of them probably shouldn't have had a single thing to do with a 2 wheeled vehicle ended up passing...EASILY

GO FOR THE MSF COURSE

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just took test today and passed. DMV instructor was a hard ass, but still pulled through. Took the 5 lesson package with Ferrari in Astoria. They provided the helmet, bike, and chase car for the road test. Bike started out parked on two way street. Turn on flasher look left and pull off gradually. One horn=left Two horns=right Three horns=safely pull over. After pulling off i made a right went down the block and stopped at stop sign (complete stop at white line slowly inch foward stop again and proceed through when safe). I was told to make another right. I moved up to second gear, hit about 25 mph for about 4 blocks and then told to make another left. I stopped at sign again and made another left. This brought me to a quiet two way street and I was told to pull over. Once pulled over I was told to complete my circles. I made three left circles right into three right circles and then three figure 8's. Note: After completing my last right circle I saw a van coming. I pulled to the side of the road. Full complete stop. Feet down. And waited for van to pass. Once clear I signaled again looked right and completed my 8's. You MUST yield right of way traffic. You CAN put your feet down to do so. If you don't yield right of way it's an automatic fail. Once I was done I was told to go down some more streets until finally back at starting point. Most important: Stop at white line for stop sign/ make sure you signal every turn and turn off signal when turn is complete/ don't make turns too wide/ always yield right of way traffic. There were some "riders" testing with the fancy club jacket and fancy helmet who go on and on with their bike stories. Maybe too cocky they're the ones who failed. Be calm and respectful. Be humble. Bike was a 250 crap bike from the school and test location was fresh meadows-underhill ave and 189.

·
Registered
1 Posts
:plus1:
MSF courses are definitely the way to go. The road course at the DMV can vary depending on who's testing you and how good or bad his day has been. The figure 8's and such were done slowly in a very tight space here in NC. They want to see that you can control the bike. They want to see stopping on command probably, and maybe knowing how to swerve. Again, I can't stress enough how much help the MSF course will be, but if you take the test at the dmv, find the smallest displacement bike you can. It will be a whole lot easier to do maneuvers at 5mph with something small.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I did the DMV test in Colorado in 1985. It was pretty basic back then. My understanding is that it's much more involved now. My wife took the MSF course in 1998 and was able to skip the DMV test. I would highly recommend the MSF path.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts