Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have also been watching these rotors with a weary eye. If you check out their feedback, the people who have gotten them seem happy. The only thing I can see that may be bad is they are only 3.5mm thick. Now thats nice to decrease the rotating mass, but I believe it makes them more prone to warping under heavy braking situations. I'm not a mechanic or a metallurgist, but thats was my first thought.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
It says they're 5mm thick though on that page.
Thinner discs can be more prone to warpage and boiling your fluid as they can't dispose of the heat as quickly.

·
Registered
467 Posts
5.0 - 5.5 mm seems to be the thickness of most oem rotors. I would not feel comfortable with 3.5mm rotors. As cheap as they are, it would blow if they warped easily and had to be treated as a consumable and replaced regularly like the brake pads.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I want to know who makes them first....I don't see a manufacturer listed anywhere on the entire page.

·
Registered
258 Posts
yea the price is very attractive but I wonder if it's just the fact that manufacturing is cheaper in asia, the material/quality is lower, or a mix of the two.

It does say the rotors are 5 mm thick... the thinnest that comes OEM on any bike is 4.5mm on the front rotors.

also their designs are straight rip-offs of genuine companies like Braking (for the rotors) and Sato (for the rearsets). China doesn't really care about patents or copyrights and I'm leery of supporting such plaigarists

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
I've swapped email with Toby Huang last year as they do titanium machinework as well.
Don't think I actually had to do any dealings with him at the time but he seemed helpful.
He was considering titanium disc carriers but I think I managed to convince him it was a pointless exercise.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I've swapped email with Toby Huang last year as they do titanium machinework as well.
Don't think I actually had to do any dealings with him at the time but he seemed helpful.
He was considering titanium disc carriers but I think I managed to convince him it was a pointless exercise.
also reminds me of an article that china buys up most of the world's titanium supply, so maybe Ti is a cheaper material in china?:idunno:

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
It is but it's illegal for them to export raw ti.
They can fabricate ti parts very cheaply though and export them.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Perhaps you're assuming that the more expensive something is the better the quality? By that reckoning you should be wondering why you're trusting your life to the ones Honda mass-produced for about twenty bucks each :)
There's nothing mystical about brake discs.

·
Registered
263 Posts
" There's nothing mystical about brake discs."

I always thought they used some kind of expensive metal alloy, why else would oem brake disc cost so much?

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
The best ones are cast Iron. Not much mystery there.
I saw a manufacturer tag on the rotors but couldn't make them out.
One thing though, If I were to buy wave rotors, I would only buy full floating rotors, not semi. Why spend the money to have neerly the same type of rotor as stock?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
" There's nothing mystical about brake discs."

I always thought they used some kind of expensive metal alloy, why else would oem brake disc cost so much?

How do you think they can make enough profit to pay out millions of dollars to guys like Hayden, Pedrosa and Rossi and still sell the bikes so cheap :)
Lots of non-sports bikes run pretty looking stainless discs which are crap compared to the rusty-looking cast iron rotors.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Mine need replacing anyway, and $180 is 1/6th the price of new oem's where I live now. So I just might be the guinea pig... I've got no track days planned though, I'd like to see them perform under heavy load..

·
Registered
263 Posts
How do you think they can make enough profit to pay out millions of dollars to guys like Hayden, Pedrosa and Rossi and still sell the bikes so cheap :)
Lots of non-sports bikes run pretty looking stainless discs which are crap compared to the rusty-looking cast iron rotors.
It would be interesting to know how much more a bike would cost if I bought each part separately. It has to be something like 3-4 times the price!

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
About 20 years ago one of the US magazines did it with an FJ1200 I think.
It worked out about four times dearer I think.
I've probably still got the magazine packed away somewhere :)

·
Registered
420 Posts
Perhaps you're assuming that the more expensive something is the better the quality? By that reckoning you should be wondering why you're trusting your life to the ones Honda mass-produced for about twenty bucks each :)
There's nothing mystical about brake discs.
no i dont think more expensive is always better, i trust proven performance and reliability. do you really think honda is goin to put some dodgy (cheap probably) part on thier bikes that may fail? ill go for honda over a taiwanese sweat shop every time...

The best ones are cast Iron. Not much mystery there.
I saw a manufacturer tag on the rotors but couldn't make them out.
One thing though, If I were to buy wave rotors, I would only buy full floating rotors, not semi. Why spend the money to have neerly the same type of rotor as stock?

thats what i got now, cast iron full floaters, and u can feel the difference....

1 - 20 of 34 Posts